Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Failed. Adobe Flash Player, tried to get to 26.0.0.131

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

I tried updating Adobe Flash Player, on two different, Windows Vista, 32-bit, laptop computers, to go from version 24.0.0.something, to 26.0.0.131.

Both computers, the attempted updating failed to install.  

One computer had NPAPI plugin and Active X forms of flash player.  .Browsers are Firefox, IE 9, portable Slimjet

Other computer has only ActiveX form of flash player.  Browsers are IE 9 browser, Google Chrome, and portable Slimjet browsers

First used Control Panel, opened Flash Player control, Update tab, then Check For Updates, followed typical displayed instructions.

But install failed.

I used the adobe site after the first failures.  I downloaded offline installer and tried that, but still install failed.

What's happening?  How do I find out?  What should be done next?  Should I download the uninstallers for flash player?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:03 PM

What is the error message you are getting?

See the list of common issues -

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:25 PM

What is the error message you are getting?

See the list of common issues -

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

Thanks jwoods301.

The error message was nothing more than, "Installation Failed."

I already studied the page you showed hyperlink to.  Useless.  So I asked about the problem here.  

I tend to believe that I should try to download the uninstaller for flash player, run it, and ... then try to download the offline installers and run them.  Other advice would also be of interest.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:26 PM

I tend to believe that I should try to download the uninstaller for flash player, run it, and ... then try to download the offline installers and run them.  Other advice would also be of interest.

That would be a good next step.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

Let me say this about some information found on the page,

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

There is a description part way down, 

Follow steps a, b, and c for the following:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

but there were NOT ANY such steps a, b, c, listed anywhere.  I cannot make sense of this part.

(Editing the link address to remove the period at the end, so link will work)

Edited by cafejose, 18 June 2017 - 11:57 PM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

Take out the period you put in at the end of the URL, otherwise it 404's.

Yeah, should read steps 1, 2, and 3...just telling you how to get to those folders so you can delete the files inside.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:46 AM

Update NPAPI Flash Player 26.0.0.131 for Firefox now done!  (On one of the computers, W Vista 32 bit, Firefox ESR, and IE9).

How?  Not sure if all of this was necessary, but:

1. Ran uninstaller for flash player from Adobe site
  2. Restarted computer
  3. Used instructions quoted above about using RUN to allow deleting contents from those folders
  4. Restarted computer
  5. Downloaded and saved to desktop, from adobe site, install_flash_player.exe
  6. Ran the installer As Administrator, checked the Accept box, clicked Install
  7. Restarted Computer

(I also disabled Norton Security Auto-protect, and re-enabled after the last computer restart).

Note, the other Vista laptop experiencing the flash player update install failures only has Windows Firewall and Windows Defender - and does NOT have any Norton or other.

Upon checking Properties, Details, in the two downloaded installers I find a difference.

The file downloaded from adobe named flashplayer26_ha_install.exe of 1175 kb, showed a version number 2.0.0.143.

The file just now downloaded and ran, taken from the troubleshoot adobe site/page named install_flash_player.exe of 19.6 MB shows a version number 26.0.0.131.

I believe there is a hyperlink problem at the Adobe site, so that if you try to download the offline installer, but do not get it from the troubleshoot page, you download an incorrect installer.

Edited by cafejose, 21 June 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

No hyperlink problem...those are the download managers for XP/Vista/ 7 -

IE - flashplayer26ax_xa_install.exe

Version 2.0.0.143

Firefox - flashplayer26_xa_install.exe

Version 2.0.0.143

You want the actual Flash downloads, which are located on the problems page.

Direct links -

IE - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Firefox - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player.exe

Opera - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

Edited by jwoods301, 21 June 2017 - 01:06 AM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:30 AM

POST #7,

NPAPI installation DONE!  Successful!  Maybe I was not clear about that.

Otherwise, I was just reporting what I saw and found.  I showed the filenames and details taken from THE DOWNLOADS, FROM THE Adobe site.  See the file names and the details written very carefully.  Yours are not the same.  The installer that did work for me shows "Details" of the correct flash player version while the one you tell me  that it should be shows a different version number.  Why we each have two different sets of three files, I have no idea.

I try to compare to this what you say:

-----   

Firefox - flashplayer26_xa_install.exe

Version 2.0.0.143

-------

There was a list on one of the adobe pages which you list, too:

--------  

You want the actual Flash downloads, which are located on the problems page.

Direct links -

IE - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Firefox - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player.exe

Opera - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

-------------

Not sure if you took that from the same page as I found as "troubleshooting", but from it was the installer stated to be  NPAPI Flash Player for Firefox, the one which I finally used successfully  (install_flash_player.exe).

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

I just now visited the page

I am guessing, I used the wrong page to download the file.  I can only go to the troubleshooting page you gave earlier, and choose the desired file to download from THERE, and then compare the two files.  I have not tried to run the just-now downloaded installer ...26ax_ha_install.exe yet. 

This message is not getting posted correcly.  A bunch of sentences have been excluded.  The message here is wrong.  The link is missing.  Other description in the message is missing. 

One more try for that missing hyperlink:  https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Although not exactly the same.  The one I used included two drop-down listboxes for me to choose which Windows and which plugin/orActiveX.

Edited by cafejose, 21 June 2017 - 02:04 AM.

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

Problem must had been with Adobe.  Tried updating flashplayer activeX  on the other computer through Windows Control Panel,....Flash Player... Check for Updates.  Update to v26.0.0.131 succeeded; worked.  No problem.  No need for uninstaller nor offline full update installer.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:07 AM

Problem must had been with Adobe.  Tried updating flashplayer activeX  on the other computer through Windows Control Panel,....Flash Player... Check for Updates.  Update to v26.0.0.131 succeeded; worked.  No problem.  No need for uninstaller nor offline full update installer.

Whatever works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users