Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email setup when converting from Office 2007 & Win XP to Office 365 & Win 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

I have an old Win XP machine with Office 2007 that I am replacing with a shiny new Win 10 machine. I have purchased Office 365 Home Subscription. I will need to keep both machines running for at least a few months because of one software application that I cannot port to the Win 10 machine. I also have an iPhone and an iPad.

I have several email accounts not all with the same host. Most are with GoDaddy. I have two that were for two different businesses I ran and a couple for personal use.

I need help configuring the email so that I can get messages on all of these devices (old Win XP machine, new Win 10 machine, iPad, & iPhone).

I have several questions:

1. Can the old and new machines share email messages if one is running Office 2007 and the other Office 365? Or do I have to upgrade the old machine to Office 365?
  2. The old machine is currently set up as POP3. Is that going to be a problem?
  3. Is there a way that I can "ignore" emails that I see on one mobile device and have it also not show up on any other mobile devices, but not be deleted and still show up on the PC?
  4. If I set up an email folder structure, will that structure be mirrored on the server and also on all of the other devices? If I move an email from one folder to another or move an entire folder, will that be propagated to the server and all devices?
  5. Are any of the books out there any good at helping me sort all this out? If so, which ones?

Thanks for any tips or pointers...

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

Can the old and new machines share email messages if one is running Office 2007 and the other Office 365? Or do I have to upgrade the old machine to Office 365?

Yes, but this is more dependent on the protocol you use to access the messages than the versions of Office.

The old machine is currently set up as POP3. Is that going to be a problem?

Most likely yes.  Post Office Protocol (POP) is "first generation" protocol for dealing with e-mail before the age when someone was likely to be trying to juggle the same e-mail messages on multiple devices.   It is a client side arrangement, which means your e-mail messages (in most default configurations) are downloaded to the device you're reading them on and as soon as that's done, or at some set time afterward, they are deleted from the server and are no longer available for additional download to other devices.

If you expect to be wanting to juggle the same messages across multiple devices you should convert to the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP).  IMAP is a server side protocol, where all messages, and the folders that you set up, and the filters you create to sort them into those folders, are all created and stored on the e-mail server.  The devices that access your mail all connect to the server and get the folder setup and the message headers (usually) until you open them for reading, at which time the message body is downloaded, but not deleted from the server.

Is there a way that I can "ignore" emails that I see on one mobile device and have it also not show up on any other mobile devices, but not be deleted and still show up on the PC?

Not really, at least not if you're using deletion to do it.  You could create a folder on the e-mail server named, say, Reviewed, and when you read a message on the mobile device and don't want it showing up in the Inbox on the others moving it to Reviewed when you are done.  It will be available, everywhere, in "Reviewed" and gone everywhere from your inbox.

The entire concept of IMAP is to make everything available, in precisely the same way, on every device that accesses the server for a specific e-mail account.

If I set up an email folder structure, will that structure be mirrored on the server and also on all of the other devices? If I move an email from one folder to another or move an entire folder, will that be propagated to the server and all devices?

Yes, as I described above.  That's one of the primary reasons IMAP access came into existence and has largely supplanted POP as the access protocol of choice.

Are any of the books out there any good at helping me sort all this out? If so, which ones?

Not something I can give you a recommendation for.  I hope the above clears up at least 90% of your questions.

Edited by britechguy, 18 June 2017 - 08:21 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

OK, thanks. I think I got most of that.

Q: Does Office 365 use POP3 or IMAP or does it have its own protocol that is different from either?

A few months ago, I changed all of the POP3 accounts to leave emails on the server until explicitly deleted. They are never deleted from the server just because they were downloaded by any machine. This was on advice I got somewhere, possibly here. Before that, if I read an email on the iPhone, I would not get it on the PC. Now, I get it on all devices, which means that I have to delete it multiple times.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Any contemporary e-mail client can use POP or IMAP.  I know that Microsoft also supports its own proprietary protocol, but I can't for the life of me recall what it's called at the moment.  It would not be relevant to your situation.

The reason you have to delete it multiple times is POP is still a client-side protocol.  You can do what you did, and set things up such that messages are not deleted from the server, meaning that all devices that access them, no matter in what order or when, can download them.  And that's exactly what they do, each downloads its own full copy of the message and it will stay on each device until it is deleted from that device.

IMAP, by contrast, is a server-side protocol.  All of your devices say, "Hey, server, download the headers for all of the messages you have, all of the folder structures you have," and only when you actually go to open a message, download the message body so it can be read on a given device.  If you delete a message on one device, it says, "Hey, server, I'm done with this message, nuke it," which it does.  Then when the other devices synchronize with the server, if they've previously downloaded the message header for that message (or the whole message) it is automatically deleted from the device.  There can be a lack of synchrony, briefly, if you delete on one device and the other(s) have not yet done their next sync (which also does send/receive) with the server, but once they do everything goes back to being a mirror image of what's on the server.  Thus, you do not have to delete a message on each and every device.  It's "One and Done" everywhere.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users