I have Outlook Express 6 with my Dell Dimension 4400 (Windows XP Home Edition 2002) Service Pack 3.
The issue first started with my Outlook Express June 12th when I received about 50 or so emails that I knew were not mine. The next day I had to change my password as I could not receive any of my email. I wasn't able to log on to my skype as well so I thought there were some windows security updates that I needed. I clicked on windows update and it wouldn't do anything.
I tried to run AVG but it would just stay stuck at 5% scanning. I conducted a system restore and that didn't help either and the AVG acted worse. I was able to manually download all 9 of the new windows security updates manually for June. I tried to run AVG after that and it still was stuck at 5% scanning. I deleted the AVG and downloaded the MalwareBytes. It found some things, but the CPU is now at 100% without having anything open. Let me know if you can assist me. I believe I am infected. Thank you