Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU Usage. Am I Infected?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 gman3183

gman3183

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

I have Outlook Express 6 with my Dell Dimension 4400 (Windows XP Home Edition 2002) Service Pack 3.

The issue first started with my Outlook Express June 12th when I received about 50 or so emails that I knew were not mine. The next day I had to change my password as I could not receive any of my email. I wasn't able to log on to my skype as well so I thought there were some windows security updates that I needed. I clicked on windows update and it wouldn't do anything.

I tried to run AVG but it would just stay stuck at 5% scanning. I conducted a system restore and that didn't help either and the AVG acted worse. I was able to manually download all 9 of the new windows security updates manually for June. I tried to run AVG after that and it still was stuck at 5% scanning. I deleted the AVG and downloaded the MalwareBytes. It found some things, but the CPU is now at 100% without having anything open. Let me know if you can assist me. I believe I am infected. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

You already have an identical topic and a helper is working with you here...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649575/100-cpu-usage-with-nothing-running-am-i-infected/#entry4264177

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

Duplicate topic noted by jwoods301 is currently active.  Locking this thread to avoid confusion.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users