Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro, SP3 old age decay

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vineyridge

vineyridge

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

I have a licensed OEM version of this OS which was installed in 2009.  Since then, I have lost the original CD and was given a burned copy by my computer builder.  That copy I still have.  In the years I've owned this computer, I've done a couple of non-destructive re-installs through the years, but I'm now afraid to do them for fear I will lose all the security updates and fixes that Microsoft has installed over the time that it supported XP;  I'm not sure they still make them available to XP license holders.

The problem is that my XP Pro, SP3 has unregistered some very important administrative tools.  I should have MMC 3.0, and it shows in the registry with lots of Snap-Ins and Nodes;  but when I go to MMC.exe, it says the Root is empty. 

More concerning right now is that my services show that I have Logical Disk Management started as well as Logical Disk Management Administrative Services.  Yet when I try and use LDM to recognize a new HD, I am told that "LDM is not registered to this computer.  It is available in Windows 2000 or later."   AFAIK, LDM is a part of MMC 3.0, although it also seems to be called MCC in my computer.  I can see diskmgmt.msc in Windows/system 32, but when I try to run it from Windows Explorer, I still get the "not registered" message. 

I have downloaded the txt file that is diskmgmt.msc and it references Microsoft Console both at the beginning and the end.  LDM is a Snap-In of the MMC (or MCC) Console.  So it would seem that it will not run without the Console.

I have checked mmc.exe in a very short search of the registry and in HK_Classes_Root, its entries are shown as "(default) REG SZ (no value set)", so to me that means that it has lost its registration.

There is a full version of MMC 3.0 available for XP, SP2 for download on Microsoft's website .  I have downloaded it but not tried to install on my XP, SP3.  I can do so if that is recommended.

Also, I have the Windows Recovery Console on the disk that I was given, but it has not been installed on a permanent HD.  Should I do that, and, if so, how? 

The reason I am going through all this is that my C Drive is failing, and I have purchased a replacement that cannot be recognized, formatted, or partitioned without a functional LDM, AFAIK.

I have to tell you that I am delighted to have found this place where problems with XP Pro, SP3 can be discussed and perhaps solved.

I have to tell you that I am not an IT person and I have forgotten most of what I learned from DOS and the various versions of Windows prior to XP and the registry--at least, I don't recall a registry in Win98.  I've been terrified to muck around in the registry in XP.

Edited by vineyridge, 18 June 2017 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

Non-destructive re-installs are still possible.

IMO, the best way to go for getting XP updates is WSUS Offline Update. You can download all of the available updates and put them on a USB drive, or other media beforehand.

Then, instead of going through Windows Update, you can install them from the WSUS media.

You will need to go back into their archives and find the last version that supported XP SP3. End of life was April 2014, so start looking from that point.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Attached is a tutorial video on how to use WSUS Offline Update.

Also, Microsoft has released some new security updates due to recent ransomware attacks.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-issues-windows-xp-security-updates-for-previously-ignored-nsa-hacking-tools/

Edited by jwoods301, 18 June 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:23 AM

IMO, the best way to go for getting XP updates is WSUS Offline Update. You can download all of the available updates and put them on a USB drive, or other media beforehand.

Then, instead of going through Windows Update, you can install them from the WSUS media.

You will need to go back into their archives and find the last version that supported XP SP3. End of life was April 2014, so start looking from that point.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Not very often nowadays that a XP machine ends up in my lap needing service/updates, but when one does, WSUS as recommended by jwoods301 is tops. I've done a few Win 7 machines with it also.

The last version of WSUS that still works for Win XP is V. 9.1 [4 Apr 2014]

Another good video worthy of a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

Don’t worry about what people think. They don’t do it very often.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

The last version of WSUS that still works for Win XP is V. 9.1 [4 Apr 2014]

Thanks for that.

I think you posted the same video...Eli The Computer Guy's tutorial.

Edited by jwoods301, 19 June 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:17 AM

Well, it is a darn good video & worthy of being posted twice! Next time though, I'll watch before I post! :oopsign:

Thanks jwoods301!

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2017 - 06:46 AM.

Don’t worry about what people think. They don’t do it very often.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

I can't give the link but after updating XP you can edit the registry to make the computer appear as a POSReady computer allowing updates into 2019. I have this on my old XP computer and after months of updates have not had one issue. 

#7 vineyridge

vineyridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

The WSUS site will be a life saver if I have to reinstall my Windows, but quite honestly I've forgotten how to do the non-destructive install.  Do y'all reckon they will add the June 10th, 2017 and WannaCry security updates?  I've done the WannaCry patch, but haven't done the June 10th ones. 

I went to the registry and looked for mmc.  In HK_CLASSES_ROOT, mmc.exe came up with the following:  [ab icon] (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)   I may be way off base, not being an IT Windows person, but it seems to me that my whole problem might be solved by editing this key to show that my mmc.exe is registered and active.  Most of the other mmc keys have values.  I think I only found one other one that didn't, but I didn't search the whole registry.

How would I go about editing this key to give a value to mmc.exe?

I could re-install the Console with the Microsoft download that is for adding MMC 3.0 to an XP, SP2 edition, even though I have XP Pro, SP3.

I know this is a repeat of my original post, but I recall that a non-destructive re-install of XP may have been the time that I first noticed LDM was missing.  I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Please understand that I'm 70, female, and not very techie at all.  I really need simple directions to get back the MMC console so Windows can recognize my new HD.  Or I need an alternative method to force Windows to see the HD.  The BIOS sees it and Ubuntu sees it, but Windows won't.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

One possible reason your HDD is not detected by XP would be it being a SATA vs IDE drive. XP install media does not have native SATA drivers and require them to be installed via a floppy disk or streamed into the install media using a program called nlite. If you partition and format the disk with a bootable partition manager like Partition Wizard or Gparted it's possible XP may pick it up.

What is the make and model of the computer? How much RAM does the computer have?

If you only use the computer for basic browsing and email you may want to consider switching to linux. Are there any important Windows programs you need to have?

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

The WSUS site will be a life saver if I have to reinstall my Windows, but quite honestly I've forgotten how to do the non-destructive install.

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option -

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/langa-letter-xps-no-reformat-nondestructive-total-rebuild-option/d/d-id/1044226?

Edited by jwoods301, 19 June 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

The reason I am going through all this is that my C Drive is failing, and I have purchased a replacement that cannot be recognized, formatted, or partitioned without a functional LDM, AFAIK.

Why do a non-destructive reinstall on a hard drive that is failing?

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I have purchased a replacement that cannot be recognized, formatted, or partitioned without a functional LDM, AFAIK.

You might try using MiniTool's free Partition Wizard to setup the new drive...

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

#12 vineyridge

vineyridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

I have more than a few other Windows drive management tools, and I just downloaded the Seagate Disc Wizard.  None of them will see the drive at all.  They all seem to rely on Microsoft's Logical Disk Management Snap-In in the MMC console.  That's what is gone in my XP Pro. 

I have bought the drive that is not recognized as the replacement for my C Drive.  I plan to install the new drive in Windows and clone the failing C Drive to it, then remove the C drive and put the new drive in its place.

Computer was built for me in 2009 by a local IT professional who isn't in business anymore.  He's gone to a government IT position with a good salary.  It is an ASUS P5G41-M LE (LGA775) with Intel's Core 2 Dual Core processor and Windows XP Pro, SP3 32 bit.. 

I already have Ubuntu on my computer and am working to learn to use it.  It CAN see the drive.  But there are more than a few programs in Windows that I am very comfortable with, and the Ubuntu comparables are not nearly as sophisticated.  I'm also used to the Windows programs after such a long time.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

In my experience...cloning a failing hard drive...is likely to yield what looks like a bootable clone...until you actually try to boot it and use the O/S.

The time to clone is when the system/drive has no problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users