Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Good Windows System Restore" Replacement?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sjf99

sjf99

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

I used to enjoy the "Windows System Restore" functionality as it was a quick way to go back to a stable system if something went awry (software install, update, etc.).  Recently I have had issues with it working correctly ("An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)").  I have used the work around that has been mentioned in many forums ("Renaming folder WindowsApps").  But it's a hassle to do this each and every time (although supposedly it is being fixed in a future release, but have also read that windows version of "System Restore" is fraught with difficulties in general anyways).

So, here is my question for the group.  What is a good alternative to "Windows System Restore" that is reliable and fairly straightforward that achieves similar results?  Is it better to go to more of a straightforward backup tool?  I have recently been trying out "Acronis True Image 2016" (Basically received it free from a NewEgg promotion).  Is it better to do say a weekly backup and do a disk/partition recovery with this tool to mimic "system restore" (knowing it will take longer but probably be more thorough and stable) as needed?

Anxious for thoughts.  Thanks in advance.  My system specs are listed in the link below if needed.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K84LZjoRgC1r2fJ2J7PBpYF

Scott

Edited by britechguy, 18 June 2017 - 07:00 PM.
Question is not really Windows 10 limited. Moved to Backup forum as this is a backup/restore question

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Your usage of Acronis sounds very - sound!  Go with it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Some antivirus software will block System Restore from completing.

The workaround is to boot in Safe Mode, start the System Restore, and when the reboot starts, boot into Safe Mode again to let it complete.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

I used to enjoy the "Windows System Restore" functionality as it was a quick way to go back to a stable system if something went awry (software install, update, etc.).  Recently I have had issues with it working correctly ("An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)").  I have used the work around that has been mentioned in many forums ("Renaming folder WindowsApps").  But it's a hassle to do this each and every time (although supposedly it is being fixed in a future release, but have also read that windows version of "System Restore" is fraught with difficulties in general anyways).

Scott

I'm having difficulties understanding the big picture. I'm thinking of System Restore points in System Properties. I have 2 Windows 10 computers and also maintain my brother's Windows 10 computer and System restore points aren't a problem on any of the computers. We have a System Repair disc just in case it ever come in handy. Now there is a caveat involved: there are times restore points are eliminated and when there is a major Windows 10 upgrade, they are completely removed and system restore needs to be turned back on: a minor inconvenience to me.

On the "renaming folders Windows Apps", as a simple computer user I don't get into that. Depending on what you are doing, is that necessary?

In summary, I let System Restore points (if that's what you mean) take care of themselves w/o any problems.

Moving on to Acronis makes me think of creating system image backups. Since you have Acronis for free, that's fine as mentioned.

In case you'd like to know, I make monthly system image backups during the last week of the month since all monthly Windows Updates have been completed by then and the computer is ready for the following month's Windows Updates. 

I'd also like to add creating backups of your data also. My data isn't involved but a simple copy and paste onto a USB flash drive and an older offline tablet PC suits me.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

"System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows the user to revert their computer's state (including system files, installed applications, Windows Registry, and system settings) to that of a previous point in time, which can be used to recover from system malfunctions or other problems."

Having, long ago, tried Windows System Restore, I had to look it up to refresh my understanding.

I recommend making routine OS and data partition backups onto an external hard-drive if you have to make frequent OS restores.  Just before making any major OS change, and sometimes, after making any major OS change, I will often create a full image of my OS partition -- just in case.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 July 2017 - 06:46 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users