Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 1Tb drive not showing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaaBoss

DaaBoss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

SEPARATE user with a similar problem!   NO mount of a brand new "G Drive" brand, 1 TB, 2.5" drive.

• Windows 10, fully Patched -- AlienWare, powerful PC, etc. -- ie, plenty of USB power.
  • Connected a brand new "G-Drive" BRAND external USB, 1 TB, 2.5", so no extra power connector needed.
  • Plugged the drive in, device driver seemed to install, and drive is "lit up".
    • Looked in "My Computer", no additional drive letter
    • Looked in "Computer Management" / "Disk Management", no extra drive LETTER -- However:
      • New "Disk 2": showing 2 active partitions --- a 200mb EFI partition, and a 931 GB healthy Primary Partition, but with NO drive letter, nor it is formatted as NTFS
      • "Release hardware" icon in tray shows, Eject "G Drive", which threw me, since I've got an existing f:\ and the new drive would have been G:  (remember, the BRAND of the drive is "G Drive", and NOT referring the the drive LETTER "G:")
      • Right clicked on the 931 GB partition in "Disk Management" -- ONLY choice is to DELETE Volume

I think obviously, my only choice is to delete the existing 931 GB partition.  Then create a new partition, (NTFS, of course), and then mount it, if it doesn't mount automatically. I guess the drive was originally created with the idea of making it a boot drive, thus the EFI partition.  If so, NICE touch on the EFI, (but don't quite know how to make use of this--let Windows use that EFI???).

So --- Although this drive was made for PCs and MACs, I find it VERY odd to ship a drive like this, with no mention in the quick start: that the drive letter won't show up or mount, let alone what to do about it.  Any idea why??

Thanks Louis!  ---

I also found this on their site:

Why does my G-Technology drive not show up on my Windows computer?

Out of the box, all G-Technology drives are formatted for Mac Operating Systems. (Keep in mind that formatting will erase the contents of the drive. Please back up your data first before formatting your drive.)

They give recommendations and links to show how to format the drive with either NTFS or ex-FAT, (they recommend ex-FAT for use with Mac and Windows).   I decided to leave the EFI partition there, just delete the large partition, and reformat it with NTFS.

I'm surprised they didn't think to attach a small, large print note or sticker to the drive, "READ FIRST, IF YOU ARE USING THIS WITH WINDOWS".

Q ???  

For users that are trying to move files back and forth using an external drive between Mac and Windows, I've heard reports of lost folders and files when using an external drive.  I'm not sure exactly what the cause of the loss was, (? NTFS partition, ex-FAT, device drivers made for an external drive added to the Mac or Windows ?).

I'd like to advise these users what to watch for and not do.  The files lost were from a software engineer that had a Mac and a PC with mostly Windows experience.

Edited by DaaBoss, 19 June 2017 - 09:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

You might take a look at MiniTool's free Partition Wizard to get more info on the drive...

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

The drive does not appear to be made for Windows compatibility.  See http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive .

"G-DRIVE comes preformatted HFS+ with Journaling and is Time Machine® compatible right out of the box! A simple initialization is all it takes to prepare G-DRIVE for use with Windows® systems!"

HFS is not compatible with Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users