Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

CRUISER: An open-source alternative to Google Maps...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Cruiser: an open-source alternative to Google Maps

Afternoon, everybody.

I came across this application earlier on today, and thought some of you might perhaps like to try it, and who knows, maybe even find this useful. Since I'm currently experimenting with AntiX, this tutorial will show you how to install this into AntiX 16.1, using the default ROX-Filer/IceWM combination.

AntiX is based on Debian Jessie, so some of this stuff will apply to other Debian-based distros; the rest of it is specific to AntiX, but if you're good with this kind of thing, it won't take a lot of modifying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required:-

Java Runtime Environment from the Debian repositories

'Cruiser' download from their download mirror. To read about Cruiser, visit the OpenStreetMap wiki page, here:-

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cruiser

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure:-

1. First of all, it's a Java application. I know some of you will straight away cross this off your list due to that very reason, but for the rest of you, please bear with me.... We need to install Java to begin with, so open a terminal, and input the following (inserting your password where necessary):-

​sudo apt-get install default-jre

Let the system do its thing, and you'll end up with the Java Runtime Environment installed.

2. Next, go to

http://www.talent.gr/public/cruiser/

and download the application. You'll want the 'Desktop' version, not the 'Android' one for this tutorial, because the Android .apk won't work (unless you're running an Android emulator.....and that's a whole different ball-game entirely!) To make things easier, I saved this to my /home/Mike/Downloads directory.....saves having to change permissions.

3. Using File-Roller, which is built-in to AntiX, left click on the cruiser-desktop-1.2.18.zip file. File-Roller opens; highlight the file, then click on 'Extract'. You'll end up with the extracted cruiser directory alongside it. Personally, I've moved this to /home/Mike, and am running it from there.

4. At this point, it will run by going into the cruiser directory, opening a terminal with ROX (right-click, Window->Terminal here), and simply typing

java -jar cruiser.jar

.....and the application will start. However, I like to be a bit more professional than that, so I've created a shell-script for /usr/bin, and a desktop entry file for /usr/share/applications.

5. Open a terminal, do 'sudo geany' (this opens geany as root). The desktop entry file wants to look like this:-

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Cruiser
Comment=Java-powered equivalent to Google Maps
Exec=/usr/bin/cruiser
NoDisplay=False
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/Maps.png
Categories=Accessories;

...saved as cruiser.desktop in /usr/share/applications. Leave Geany open.

6. The bin script wants to read as follows:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start 'Cruiser' (powered by OpenStreetMaps)
cd /home/Mike/cruiser
java -jar cruiser.jar

...saved as 'cruiser' in /usr/bin. Modify as necessary for your personal /home directory. You can now close Geany.

7. To get a launcher on the IceWM desktop, just drag the .desktop entry from /usr/share/applications onto the desktop, and, if required, edit the name.

8. To get an entry in the Menu, do as follows:-

a. Menu->Control Center.

b. In Control Center, ->Edit Menus.

c. Choose 'Applications', then, in the following window, 'Show'.

d. Be patient while AntiX compiles the list, then scroll through till you find 'Cruiser'. Click on 'OK'.

e. In the next window, choose 'Refresh' This will re-write the Menu, including the new item.

f. The following, and final window, will auto-close when the Menu has been re-written.

9. Now, all things being equal, if you look in Menu->Applications->Accessories, you should find an entry for 'Cruiser'. The app should start by clicking on this.

Hopefully, those instructions aren't too awkward to follow. Have fun, and.....enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops, nearly forgot. Add this image to /usr/share/pixmaps, saved as 'Maps.png':-

gV6M5hC.png

That'll take care of the application's icon. Or, you can use any icon you like, really.....so long as the name in the desktop entry and in /usr/share/pixmaps match. PNG images work best for this kind of thing.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 18 June 2017 - 03:44 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hey Mike! That looks interesting. I have been toying around with the idea of making a Raspberry Pi in car system (even though I have a full touch screen in my car - just no nav) with navigation. So this is intriguing. Have you tried it out at all? If so, does it seem to work well?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hi, DC.

Yeah, it seems to work OK. Like I said, it's an 'alternative' to Google Maps; there isn't all the fancy StreetView and that kind of thing that Google gives you, but for a good, general-purpose global map, which goes down to quite fine detail, it's all right. It works on what OpenStreetMap themselves refer to as 'vector tiling'.....whatever that means.

Bear in mind that it's Java-based, though. The app itself isn't particularly large, but you've got to have Oracle's JRE or IcedTea installed for it to work.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 June 2017 - 01:19 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

Not to big of a deal that it is Java based, at least to me.Thanks for posting!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users