Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to create rescue usb with Macrium Reflect?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eszy

Eszy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've used Macrium Reflect to create a rescue disk for my current laptop and I would like to use it to create a rescue usb for my new laptop. The new laptop doesn't have a dvd-burner. The laptop has a 250gb ssd, 177gb used. I only have a 1gb usb or a 1tb external hard drive, so I think I will have to buy a new usb. 

I see three options in Macrium Reflect (Create image of selected disks/Create image of partitions required to backup and restore Windows/Create rescue media). What are the differences?

How much space will the usb need to have? Any other requirements of the usb stick? Does it matter what brand?

If I pick the rescue media wizard, there are options like iSCSI and Bitlocker and another option (something like WMI I believe). Should I just use default options? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

A 1GB flash drive should be fine for creating the Macrium USB recovery flash drive. Brand does not make a difference. Select "Create Rescue Media"

Use the default options. Bitlocker is only available on Enterprise and Ultimate versions so I doubt you have it.

Boot the flash drive then attach your USB external drive. Refresh Macrium and be sure it detects all your disks including the external drive. 

How much free space is on the 1TB drive? You are going to need at least 177GB even though Macrium will compress the image.

You want to "Create image of selected Disk"

#3 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

A 1GB flash drive should be fine for creating the Macrium USB recovery flash drive. Brand does not make a difference. Select "Create Rescue Media"

Use the default options. Bitlocker is only available on Enterprise and Ultimate versions so I doubt you have it.

Boot the flash drive then attach your USB external drive. Refresh Macrium and be sure it detects all your disks including the external drive. 

How much free space is on the 1TB drive? You are going to need at least 177GB even though Macrium will compress the image.

You want to "Create image of selected Disk"

Thanks for you reply! There is enough free space on my 1tb drive (about 400gb). 

English isn't my first language, so just to be sure I understand you well:

- I create the rescue media on the 1gb flash drive using the default options

- Instead of starting normally in Windows I boot from the flash drive and then plug in the external hd to my laptop and use Macrium to 'Create image of selected disk' on my external hd. 

Is this correct?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

Yes,

Create the rescue media per this guide.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Creating+rescue+media

Boot the rescue media and do a complete disk image. You should see all partitions checked.

After plugging in your external drive you will need to click refresh in order for the drive to be detected.

You can do a disk image inside of Windows but I find it safer to do it outside of Windows. You can also check the image integrity after creating the image.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Verifying+image+and+backup+file

You can mount the image in Windows to a virtual drive by double clicking the image in explorer.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer

Your English is fine.  :)

#5 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

I tried to create the rescue usb, but it gives me an error. "The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions." (error code 5)

When I look up information on the error code there's a page explaining how to prepare a USB stick for Windows PE. For step 9 there are two options and I will need to know if my system uses MBR booting or has GPT disks and uses the newer UEFI booting standard. How do I figure out what to choose?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Is there any data you need on the flash drive? If you do then copy the data to another drive before deleting the partitions.

Delete the partitions in Disk Management. Make sure you are working on the correct disk. 

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001765.htm

If I can remember correctly Macrium would allow you to reformat the flash drive during the creation of the bootable media. If you still have a problem then instead of having Macrium create the flash drive select the option in Macrium to create an iso file. Download Rufus. Run Rufus with the flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including having the format as FAT32. In the dropdown box that shows iso image click the folder icon and browse to the iso file created by Macrium. Press Start.

#7 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

Is there any data you need on the flash drive? If you do then copy the data to another drive before deleting the partitions.

Delete the partitions in Disk Management. Make sure you are working on the correct disk. 

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001765.htm

If I can remember correctly Macrium would allow you to reformat the flash drive during the creation of the bootable media. If you still have a problem then instead of having Macrium create the flash drive select the option in Macrium to create an iso file. Download Rufus. Run Rufus with the flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including having the format as FAT32. In the dropdown box that shows iso image click the folder icon and browse to the iso file created by Macrium. Press Start.

The partition of the usb can't be deleted so I tried the method using Rufus. When I used Rufus I couldn't use the FAT32 format. An error message said that FAT32 couldn't be used for the type of ISO. I have to use a different type of ISO or a different format. When I selected the ISO it automatically changed to NTFS, so I tried that. The laptop doesn't show the usb in the boot menu, so I guess the NTFS format doesn't work for my laptop.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,558 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

It should not make a difference if your boot is formatted using NTFS or FAT32. I never ran into this issue with macrium.  Does the laptop have an optical drive? You may need to boot using a CD/DVD instead of a flash drive.

#9 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

It should not make a difference if your boot is formatted using NTFS or FAT32. I never ran into this issue with macrium.  Does the laptop have an optical drive? You may need to boot using a CD/DVD instead of a flash drive.

Rufus turned out to be the 'problem'. I tried putting the ISO file on the usb with imageUSB, same kind of software that came with Memtest86 to create a bootable usb, and now the USB is bootable and doing it's job. I succesfully made an image of the disks of the laptop.

Thank you for your help, instructions and time! :)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,558 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

Your Welcome,

Nice troubleshooting. Thanks for the update. I will have to remember that software. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users