Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

I have a 64bit pc but windows 10 setup tool says my processor does not support LAHF/SAHF or PrefetchW. I know this is due to me having a 64bit pc. Can I make a bootable 32bit windows 10 usb and install that? Could this also work on the same type of computer but with 3 1gb ram sticks?

My set-up:

Computer 1

Dell Optiplex 620gx (upgraded)

4 1gb ram sticks 

1tb hdd

windows 7 home premium(activated)

Computer 2

Dell Optiplex 620gx (upgraded)

3 1gb ram sticks 

1tb hdd

windows 7 home premium(activated)

I am generally an expert when it comes to technology. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

https://superuser.com/questions/931742/windows-10-64-bit-requirements-does-my-cpu-support-cmpxchg16b-prefetchw-and-la

The LAHF and SAHF load and store the contents of the AH register into the flags register, respectively (Intel Instruction Set Reference, PDF pages 530 and 1025). Some older Intel processors without hardware virtualization (VT-x) functionality do not support this instructionwhen running in 64-bit long mode; these are mostly limited to certain low-end processors predating Nehalem. Some very old AMD64 processors also lack this feature.

You should be fine using 32bit but the only way to find out is to do the install.  One thing I would recommend if not done already is to create a complete disk image of each computer to a backup device using software like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper Standard free. Create the bootable media each offers. Doing this would allow you to recover you Windows 7 install should the Windows 10 install go bad.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 June 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#3 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Do I need to wipe the hard drive completely or can I leave it with win7 installed? Is a recovery dvd/cd basically the macrium? Should I use windows 10 utility to make the usb? Will I need to make a drivers usb? If so, I just locate the drivers folder on the hdd and drag it to a usb? Also, these are new computers and dont hold needed files, thus I could just use a recovery cd instead of sytem image correct?

Edited by HunterDonahue, 18 June 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Do I need to wipe the hard drive completely or can I leave it with win7 installed? Is a recovery dvd/cd basically the macrium? Should I use windows 10 utility to make the usb? Will I need to make a drivers usb? If so, I just locate the drivers folder on the hdd and drag it to a usb?

Are you referring to dual booting both Windows 10 and Windows 7? If you mean do you have to wipe the drive before doing a Windows 10 install then no. Windows 10 will wipe the drive during install. Follow this guide. Its for Windows 8.1 but the steps are the same. Delete all current partitions on the disk.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

The Macrium and Aomei recovery disk or USB boots to a UI where you can restore the drive image created on an external USB hard drive. This allows you to recover to Windows 7 should the computer no longer boot. It also allows one to recover to a clean unformatted disk should the drive fail.

In regards to USB drivers are you referring to the Windows 10 install media or the Macrium/Aomei recovery disk. The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will automatically include USB drivers.

When you install Macrium or Aomei there is an option to build the DVD or USB recovery media that includes USB drivers. Macrium also includes USB 3 drivers if your computer has them. Macrium will also boot from a UEFI/SecureBoot enabled computer. I strongly urge you to create complete disk image backups of both computers before upgrading to Windows 10.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

You'll need a Pentium D 9x series cpu for windows 8.1/10. I had a Dell with an 8x series cpu and no, Windows will not install with those cpu's because of the reasons stated (VT-x...ect) The Dell Optiplex 620gx will support a Pent D 960 with the copper heatsink and the latest bios. You should be able to install 10 with that cpu.

Edited by Joe C, 18 June 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

You'll need a Pentium D 9x series cpu for windows 8.1/10. I had a Dell with an 8x series cpu and no, Windows will not install with those cpu's because of the reasons stated (VT-x...ect) The Dell Optiplex 620gx will support a Pent D 960 with the copper heatsink and the latest bios. You should be able to install 10 with that cpu.

Joe C, would 32bit work?

#7 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

I just made the Macrium usb. Making the windows 10 usb now through windows utility.

Edited by HunterDonahue, 18 June 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#8 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Should I use both architecture or just set it to 32bit? It says ill need a product key if it is wrong. I know you can use windows 10 without product key.

Edited by HunterDonahue, 18 June 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#9 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Should I use both architecture or just set it to 32bit? It says ill need a product key if it is wrong. I know you can use windows 10 without product key.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

You cannot use Windows 10 without a product key, at least if you intend to run it for more than 30 days, at this juncture unless you are reinstalling it on a machine that already has a digital entitlement for Windows 10.

Given what you're trying to do, I'd download the straight 32-bit architecture ISO.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

You cannot use Windows 10 without a product key, at least if you intend to run it for more than 30 days, at this juncture unless you are reinstalling it on a machine that already has a digital entitlement for Windows 10.

Given what you're trying to do, I'd download the straight 32-bit architecture ISO.

Do you think that this will work from usb in media creator? I have a windows 7 product key.

Edited by HunterDonahue, 18 June 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

I will try to make this as clear as I can for all future readers:

1.  If you did not take advantage of the one-year free upgrade to Windows 10 offer before the end of July 2016 for a specific piece of equipment, you must now purchase a product key if you wish to activate Windows 10 on a piece of equipment on which you are installing it.

2.  If you did take advantage of that offer, but reinstalled an earlier version of Windows or an entirely different OS on the piece of equipment that had been upgraded to Windows 10, a digital entitlement exists linked to the motherboard of that piece of equipment that will allow you to reinstall Windows 10 and have it activate automatically under that entitlement.

3.  If you purchased a machine with Windows 10 on it as its original OS, and installed another OS after the fact, a digital entitlement still exists for that machine and can be used to reinstall Windows 10 and have it automatically activate.

Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 product keys will not activate Windows 10 now that the free upgrade period is almost one year past its expiration date.

Those who use assistive technology still qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 under the terms set forth by Microsoft.  Others are expected to purchase a license key to either install Windows 10 from scratch on a machine that's never had an OS or to update a machine with any pre-existing OS, that has never in its history had the Windows 10 OS on it, to Windows 10.

Personally, I have had very inconsistent results with bootable USB media, and particularly ones created directly by the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  I would far rather download the ISO and either create a bootable USB using something like Rufus or burn it to optical media.  When a device has an optical drive I always opt for optical media if the drive is functioning.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

Ok. I have another pc,same exact but 3gb ram. Would I use 32bit or 64bit? When attempting to install RAM from my other computer(same but 4gb ram) it makes a noise, the noise means ram issue. What could cause the noise. I am installing correctly.

#14 HunterDonahue

HunterDonahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

Just trying to be as clear as possible.

I have a computer, 4gb ram, windows NOT activated due to key alrready in use. 

The key is being used by my other computer. That computer has 3gb ram. I tried to transfer the ram from the 4gb to the 3gb. But when powering on made noises and didnt boot up. It will boot when 3gb is used.I am afraid that if I upgrade this 4gb pc that windows 10 will say cant actiavte key in use. Main Question: Do I try to add an aditional 1gb of ram to the 3gb and install 32bit windows 10 or do i leave it at 3gb and update to windows 10 with 32bit??

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

The amount of RAM in your system has nothing at all to do with whether Windows 10, or any other version of Windows, will activate/license.

Later versions of Windows are all able to detect if memory has been increased/decreased and tweak things accordingly.

There are certain questions that are virtually impossible to answer, such as your one regarding the noise, without being physically present.  There are myriad possibilities.  You have an ideal situation where you can swap out memory module by module into the machine that functions to see if all the modules will function in it.  If they do then I would suspect an issue with the memory slots, perhaps something as simple as dirt or as messy as a broken solder joint.  Again, these are SWAGs because it is not possible to offer anything even close to definitive via online forum for this sort of issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users