Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN usage in UK???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AOG_UK

AOG_UK

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Why do some UK websites seem to think using a VPN is wrong to use?

I hear on the net their is at least 1 UK based forum that seems to ban people from using VPN's whilst logged on?

What is so wrong with people hiding there presence on the internet??

Edited by AOG_UK, 18 June 2017 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

I suspect avoiding the  "TV tax" is partially related...

Thou shalt not watch videos on the internet without paying a special "Luxurious TV tax", in order that all. especially refugees, might have substandard healthcare....for free......

Someone must pay for the free stuff! :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

At the present the main site in question is the BBC. I cannot remember exactly when but the law was changed about 12 - 18 months ago to make it mandatory to have a TV licence to watch the BBC iPlayer, at least you have to click a button saying 'Yes, I have a licence'. Then about six months ago they added software to the iPlayer to block VPNs.

This is ironic because the biggest users of iPlayer via VPNs were ex-pats who were trying to watch some UK TV from foreign parts, using VPNs to get round the geoblocking features of iPlayer. Ironic because there have been surveys showing that many of these ex-pats would cheerfully pay a subscription to watch iPlayer.

As far as I know, the BBC is at present the only site doing this.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 AOG_UK

AOG_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

I'm not going to be doing anything dodgy I just don't like some sites knowing where I am or when I log on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users