Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice builder having occasional boot problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Novice-Mar

Novice-Mar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hello and I hope someone guy help with some guidance. I'm a novice builder that put together a system for 4K editing. Basically I sometimes have problems at start up, the latest stop code: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I'll try to make a long story short as I'm not sure what applies.

System: Asus X99 deluxe I (now has latest bios), Intel 6950, Intel 750 SSD NVMe, Asus 1080 gtx, 64mb ram, Windows 10. After getting computer running I added a Samsung 850 as a storage drive, 45 second start-up.

The clean install on a new Intel SSD apparently went well but when optimizing bios as suggested by that JJ guy who works for Asus (stuff like turning off CSM and some other things), caused boot problems so I back off on a couple things he suggested and it all worked well, good benchmarks, etc, UNTIL I added a RocketRaid 2722 card for an external raid system. I started having some issues with that. I found if the external RAID was on when I started my computer, I would get the blue screen related to the driver of the card.

So I removed the RAID card and still got the machine check exception problem. I updated the motherboard bios to the latest version and still had issues. Thinking it was bios I reset the bios by loading "Optimized" defaults and all went well. Seems ok but I am not confident. What was odd is my first start-up with optimized settings took only 35 seconds. Later ones took about 45-why does it change? What's also weird is that all along these problems I would not always get the screen that lists at the bottom stating to press delete or F2 to enter bios? Different start-up screens, why?

I recently noted that the storage drive I added is Drive 0, primary partition, and my system drive is Drive 1. I unplugged my storage drive and my boot Drive returned to drive 0. I'll figure that one out later...

1). So basically, does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

2). Any suggested bios settings for my system?

Any help or direction would be extremely helpful.

Thanks, Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

My thoughts :).

I think...that Drive 0, 1, 2, etc...are all determined by where the drive is attached on the motherboard.  I've never bothered to concern myself with such unless I was getting errors citing a problem with a given drive...but that's my guess.  I don't believe that drive designation is normally important and I don't normally necessarily plug my boot drive into the first motherboard slot.

I've used a Rocket Raid (and other) cards in the past and I thought they were pretty straightforward.  One has to remember that installation of such now involves two BIOSes which have to be considered, one for the card and one for the motherboard.  If you want to boot from a drive connected to the card...that must be also reflected in the MB BIOS.

External drives can present boot problems on some systems.  I've seen Windows balk at booting when an unpowered external drive is attached via USB and said drive has no on/off switch.  My suggestion would be to never buy an unpowered external drive...and don't turn the external on until the system has booted.  I hadn't thought about it before today...but a USB external drive can't be properly recognized by Windows until the USB drivers load.  Having a device connected in an "on" status...when the drivers have not loaded...may confuse Windows.

BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ .

Louis

#3 Novice-Mar

Novice-Mar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for your thought Louis!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users