Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 update 1703 problems

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ladnor

ladnor

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

I’m on windows 10 version 1607 Build 14393.1358

Version 1703 showed on update but won’t install. Trying to update it tells me I should be on version 15063, which has never shown on updates, I’ve tried to download it with no success.

I carried out things I’ve found on the net but still no luck.

I also get message that other updates are running, but I've no idea what they are

As administrator Troubleshooting updates which shows “repair windows update database corruption” I click on apply this fix and get following

[attachment=195307:troubleshooting.jpg]

ReportTop of Form

Windows Update

Publisher details

Issues found

Some security settings are missing or have been changed

Fixed

Reset security settings

Completed

Service registration is missing or corrupt

Fixed

Reset service registration

Completed

Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date.

Fixed

Repair Windows Update Database Corruption

Completed

Windows Update components must be repaired

One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly.

Fixed

Repair Windows Update components

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Default Windows Update data locations have changedDefault Windows Update data locations have changed0The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired.

Issue not present

Check for missing or corrupt filesCheck for missing or corrupt files

Issue not present

System date and time aren't correctSystem date and time aren't correct

Issue not present

Issues found

Detection details

Fixed

Reset security settings

Completed

Fixed

Reset service registration

Completed

Fixed

Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date.

Repair Windows Update Database Corruption

Completed

One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer. Would you like to try this step now? Depending on your network configuration, you may incur download costs.

DataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip

87.12MB

File Name:

DataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip

Fixed

One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly.

Repair Windows Update components

Completed

Repairing Windows Update components frequently resolves common Windows Update errors.

Potential issues that were checked

Detection details

Default Windows Update data locations have changed

Issue not present

The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired.

Check for missing or corrupt files

Issue not present

System date and time aren't correct

Issue not present

Detection details

Network Diagnostics Log

File Name:

6308B3E4-E51D-42A4-8C28-94FA94973FBD.Diagnose.Admin.0.etl

Network Diagnostics Log

File Name:

0CCC3BD0-0D96-4E57-972A-CB0C174991EC.Diagnose.Admin.1.etl

Network Diagnostics Log

File Name:

C11C9D56-23C4-44A4-9882-F998E7CEF404.Diagnose.Admin.2.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs

File Name:

NetworkConfiguration.cab

File Name:

NetworkConfiguration.cab

File Name:

NetworkConfigurationr.cab

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Service Status

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Service Status

Collection information

Computer Name:

LAPTOP-QDF9AQ5E

Windows Version:

Architecture:

x64

Time:

17 June 2017 20:36:40

Publisher details

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Windows

Windows Network Diagnostics

Detects problems with network connectivity.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Windows

Windows Update

Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Windows

Windows Update

Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Corporation

Bottom of Form

After restart running troubleshooter again come up with exactly the same, as though problems hadn’t been resolved

It looks as if I’m stuck on what I’ve got and can’t go any further

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

My advice to you would be to go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page and:

1.  Download the Media Creation Tool.  Which you can do using the button "Download Tool Now"

2.  At least try using the Update Assistant, which is the button that reads "Update Now"

a. If the Update Assistant works (which I'm doubting, but you should still try it) you have successfully updated to Version 1703, Build 15063 and you're done.

b. If it fails, continue at step 3.

3.  Use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO file, then burn said ISO file to a bootable DVD or create a bootable USB drive using the ISO.  I have had better luck doing either of these things than having the Media Creation Tool directly create a bootable USB.

4.  Use the bootable media that you have created to do your Windows Update.  There is documentation on the Windows 10 Download Page beneath the button to download the tool that steps you through doing this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

I would recommend option 3.

You can use a tool such as Rufus to create the bootable media.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edited by jwoods301, 18 June 2017 - 01:30 AM.

#4 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for reply folks, I had used update assistant but no use. Will get back after I try your suggestions

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for reply folks, I had used update assistant but no use. Will get back after I try your suggestions

This is not Windows update, it is mostly new Windows which was released on 17/03/2017 and was first available to download on 19/03/2017.
For now it is updated with major updates at least three times and current version is not the same what relesed in March. 
Has been posted thousand and more times, it is not possible to update using Windows Update system, it is needed new installation. Using other ways it will not work as should or will not at all work after restart. Most probably You will see only black screen and rotating points.
So, I think You understand for now, what is needed to do, now matter what some omniscient's have said.
Good Luck.

#6 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

Sorry I'm completely lost now, I should explain I'm 80 and the old grey matter doesn't function that well nowadays, I need to be led by the hand in small steps (not back in nappies yet) Should I stay where I am with windows, is it worth the bother of updating.

I don't understand why 1703 shows as an update if it won't update with my current version

yours, utterly confused

Edited by ladnor, 18 June 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

If you are on Windows 10 you should update to the Creators Update (Version 1703) in order to keep your machine current and protected on an ongoing basis.

There are occasions, such as yours, where some subtle irregularity in Windows Update causes a "burp" in the normal process and you need to resort to downloading the ISO file and doing the update from external media.

If your machine has already tried, and failed, to update to Version 1703 then it is not premature to do so manually using the method previously mentioned.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

This is not Windows update, it is mostly new Windows which was released on 17/03/2017 and was first available to download on 19/03/2017.
For now it is updated with major updates at least three times and current version is not the same what relesed in March. 
Has been posted thousand and more times, it is not possible to update using Windows Update system, it is needed new installation. Using other ways it will not work as should or will not at all work after restart. Most probably You will see only black screen and rotating points.
So, I think You understand for now, what is needed to do, now matter what some omniscient's have said.
Good Luck.

You are completely incorrect with regard to Windows Update.

Most machines, where there is no problem with Windows Update, go from Anniversary Update (Version 1607) to Creators Update (Version 1703) via the normal Windows Update mechanism.  There is absolutely no need for a new installation.

No one is advising this user to reinstall Windows 10.  It is entirely possible to simply update/upgrade using the ISO, and that is what is being proposed.  It has been mentioned, many times, on these forums that the Windows 10 bootable media can be used to do an update to a new version of Windows 10, not a full reinstallation from scratch, when there are issues causing Windows Update to get stuck with an update to a new version.

As is shown clearly on this Microsoft Community page on updating using the ISO, if one already has Windows 10 installed an option, which is chosen by default when running the ISO, is to "Keep personal files and apps", (emphasis mine), which is an update in place, not a full reinstall.

ladnor, definitely take a look at the page I just linked to.  The screen shots alone of what you'll be seeing as you use the ISO file to update are worth their weight in gold.  It also does a great job of actually walking you through the entire process.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for all your advice folks, even though my head is spinning J

I carried out windows 10 recovery, saving files.

I then ran update trouble shooter which showed three problems fixed but Potential Windows Update Database error detected- NOT FIXED. As I recovered windows, how come there are errors? Sorry I’m not too clever lol

Going to update in settings, there are updates which load but this update now doesn’t show, it says it’s on its way. Should I wait for it or download the ISO

Thanks for your patience

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

ladnor,

If you wish it doesn't hurt to see if the update to 1703 will now come through again at some point of its own accord.

If it does not, and an announcement from Microsoft goes out (and one has with all the other version updates) that the roll out period is officially over then you could download the ISO and follow the instructions.  If you don't care to wait, then you can do it now.  At this juncture, and given what's happened with your computer, I would not consider this "rushing the installation" of the update.  

It's your choice.  You have the necessary information to proceed as you wish and change course if necessary.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

Many thanks to all for helping.

I understand more about the sex life of a tree frog than I ever will about computers and IT.

I went on the update page as before and as I said that update didn’t show but it said if I wanted it now I should click here, which I did a couple of times before with no result, but this time IT WORKED  :bounce:

So again, thank you all very much.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

You're quite welcome.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 CTA Systems

CTA Systems

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:42 AM

I have had an influx of users calling me with the same issues, failed windows 10 update, I shall apply the advice given on here, many thanks guys, Will

#14 ladnor

ladnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

Apologies to those who have given me so much advice. I finally managed to get the update, but I should have listened to Brian and stayed with 1607 for the time being

In this update, Microsoft have hidden the control panel, when I found it the display option wasn’t there. And in settings there is no simple way to adjust the font sizes, which are small, with being handy with the registry, not for me, I downloaded a program that sorts the registry for you but it didn’t seem to work. I like to have some control, and a simple one at that, so out of the window went 1703. When the update rolls out for all, if Microsoft want to take away this option I’ll block it if possible and stay with what works for me 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft has removed the ability to change advanced text sizing options. Various options to configure the text size for user interface items like menus, title bars, icons and other elements have been removed along with the classic Display settings. 

Another dumb move by Microsoft. You are correct that in order to change your text settings you will need to do registry edits. Thanks Microsoft.

WinTweaker will allow you to change your icon text settings using sliding bars. Hopefully it is what you are looking for.

http://winaero.com/blog/icons-text-size-windows-10-creators-update/

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2017 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users