Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird MS-Word Situation - File Created in Word 2007

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

This is one of the weirder things I've ever seen happening in MS-Word.

The file in question is a book manuscript that was created in Word 2007.  The individual who wrote the book happens to be blind, but is a friend of mine, and even she knew something was "off" without being able to see it.

She sent me a copy of the original .doc format file and also one in .docx format.   In both, the entire document has the text right justified, but, and here's the important part, Word is showing the document as left justified no matter where you place yourself in it.

If I do a select all, then hit the right justify button the entire document left justifies.

Since this manuscript will be submitted to a publisher it would be helpful if it were working as virtually every other MS-Word document works as far as justification goes.  Neither of us has ever encountered this before.

I figure that someone must have had this happen to them and probably knows what one must do to fix it.  Any and all assistance will be most appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

@britechguy
I ran across a similar situation using Word '97 many moons ago. I had found and used a template which contained pre-formatted content that did not cooperate with the changes I wanted to make. This worked for me.
A word of caution as you probably already realize, you will lose all formatting of the original .doc / .docx so it may involve some work replicating the format of the original .doc / .docx.
Make sure your original .doc /.docx is saved

Open the original .doc / .docx
Open an instance of Windows Notepad
Copy/paste the text from the saved .doc / .docx into Windows Notepad.
Open a New blank Word Document
Copy/paste the text from Windows Notepad into the New Word Document
You should now have full control of your New Word Document
By saving the original, you can replicate the necessary changes (fonts, colors etc.) lost by copy / paste to Windows Notepad

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Old Rocker,

I sincerely appreciate the advice regarding the workaround.   Having been "around the block" more times than I can count, I was hoping that there might be some way that doesn't involve one to solve this issue.  So far, no one's shown up with an option.

I suspect that, in the end, some variant of your advice is what will end up being used.  The thing I dread is the manuscript that's over 200 pages long.  Luckily, there's probably not much more than either bold or italic involved as far as formatting goes, as the content is prose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

Could some other word processor be used for this instead of Notepad to hold the temporary text?  Like can you copy and paste the original document to something like Wordpad or jarte; and then put into a new blank MS Word document, and then change the Justification?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

I was able to copy and paste within word itself to a new document, and I think I used  the "Merge Formatting" paste option in the new document, and it fixed this error in the new document.

I am still mystified as to what causes that behavior in the original, but the manuscript has been fixed for submission to the publisher, which is all that matters.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 theeye23

theeye23

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

I was able to copy and paste within word itself to a new document, and I think I used  the "Merge Formatting" paste option in the new document, and it fixed this error in the new document.

I am still mystified as to what causes that behavior in the original, but the manuscript has been fixed for submission to the publisher, which is all that matters.

Don't be mystified, because even Microsoft can't explain the weird things that is happening in their office applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users