Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It never booted again.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baabel

baabel

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

I want to see if I can fix a non-working computer.
It's not my primary computer, but I want to see if I can get it working.

It is an ancient HP Compaq.
It will not boot.

For some time if I used the computer it would randomly freeze and then reboot.  
Then one day when it tried to reboot instead I got a blue screen saying, I think, that the date was wrong.
Then I tried again to boot and just got a blank light blue screen, a solid light color.

It never booted again.

I'm guessing that because the error mentioned the date being wrong that I need a new CMOS battery for it.
I remember this from reading something long ago about what it means when the time is wrong.
But I could be wrong.
What do you think?

Are there different types of CMOS batteries?
Anyone know what type of battery would go in a really old HP Compaq?  
Just as important, where inside the computer case would I find the CMOS battery?
That's assuming this is actually what the problem is.

I'm guessing I bought this computer fifteen years ago!

Running Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

After 15 years, it probably deserves a new CMOS battery...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph04375

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

If the CMOS battery does not work or there is not at all any battary, it does not in any way prevent the computer from starting, but the computer does not remember some of the settings, such as time, date etc.
Usually, there is a perfectly normal Litium Battary 2020 or 2032. In some computers for the connection are added wires, in some is slot.
Most of the HP Compaq computers has a slot and the battery 2020. But I recommend before to look at what there exactly is. If You know, what is the computer model, You can find it in internet. 
May also say, that usually desktop has simple (without wires) battary, but laptops has also wires. As much as I remember, many HP Compaq laptops also had simple battary and slot, but don't know, was so in all.
Here is two different examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=revNLR4KpK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZfbH6-slXE

Here is one more example

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/bph04375

#4 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thanks, Zainmax.

I will read the articles and then return to the broken computer when i return to town.

You're right, jwoods301.  Even if the CMOS battery is not definitely the problem, I'm sure it deserves a new one.

#5 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:12 AM

I did get a chance to look at the youtube videos but they and the others I found were for HP laptops.  Mine is a desktop.  The HP support article really just says open the box and look for a battery.  It doesn't say where the battery is.  Perhaps it will be obvious when I open the box.  I hope.  Anyway, I'll be back home at the end of the week and will open up the desktop and look.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:51 AM

Post #2.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users