Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic typing, only some letters (g,h, " and Backspace

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drwin808

drwin808

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Help!

HP Pavilion, Win 7.  Suddenly a few days ago, computer decided to stop typing a few letters (g, h and " only).  Also Backspace was ignored.

This is erratic - sometimes happens, sometimes not.

Sometimes holding down the errant key for a couple of seconds will result in the letter appearing on the screen.  Sometimes not.  Holding down the Backspace key has no effect.

I tried many online "fixes."  None worked.

Finally took my computer in to get "fixed." They did get it working - for a day.

I tried starting in Safe Mode  Works fine in Safe Mode.

I tried starting in Safe Mode with Networking.  The problem recurred.

I then tried disabling Network connection.  This had no effect and the problem recurred.

That's all I know at this time.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  I'm trying to write a book and this is driving me insane.  I need to go online often to check sources, etc. as I write.

PS - amazingly, the Problem is not happening as I type this, which is a major surprise.  Normally if I type this much all the g's, h's, and " marks will stop appearing and Backspace will not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Turn the power off on the laptop.

Disconnect the power cord and all attached devices.

Turn the laptop upside down and shake it (not gorilla shaking).

Could be some debris inside the keyboard, although I would have thought the repair place would have cleaned it.

More likely is the keyboard needs to be replaced.

#3 drwin808

drwin808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

thanks, but if its the keyboard, why does everything type perfectly in safe mode?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

I would uninstall the KB drivers, then reboot...see if problem continues.

Louis

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

The good news, most people don't know this, is that as a general rule replacement keyboards are both cheap and easy.  Post the model and I'll find you one on eBay for probably less than $20.00.

What was the "fix" (whoever) did?

#6 drwin808

drwin808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

The good news, most people don't know this, is that as a general rule replacement keyboards are both cheap and easy.  Post the model and I'll find you one on eBay for probably less than $20.00.

thanks, but if its the keyboard, why does everything type perfectly in safe mode?

#7 drwin808

drwin808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

I would uninstall the KB drivers, then reboot...see if problem continues.

Louis

I'm not a computer guy -

--which KB drivers?

--how do I locate and uninstall them? - I cant change them since all the boxes for update and uninstall are grayed out.

--don't I need them to operate the computer?  What are possible unintended consequences?

Thanks,

DR

Edited by drwin808, 18 June 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

You can uninstall the keyboard drivers via Device Manager.

Uninstalling them will remove the keyboard functionality, so you won't be able to use the keyboard to shut down.  Just turn the system off and then back on again and new drivers will load and you willl have keyboard functionality again...hopefully, without your previous problems.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/repair-windows-keyboard-driver-46858.html

Louis

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Oh.  Well that pretty much means it's not the keyboard.

Leaving now...

#10 drwin808

drwin808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

You can uninstall the keyboard drivers via Device Manager.

Uninstalling them will remove the keyboard functionality, so you won't be able to use the keyboard to shut down.  Just turn the system off and then back on again and new drivers will load and you willl have keyboard functionality again...hopefully, without your previous problems.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/repair-windows-keyboard-driver-46858.html

Louis

Got it, thanks. Hope you're right that new drivers will load...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users