Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusing internet problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Madmononoke

Madmononoke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

I have been using wifi for my xbox one due to my xfinity xb3 gateway modem being across the house. I am paying for 105mbps speeds from comcast. When I originally started testing my problems I would receive 40mbs down and 1mpbs up on xbox detailed network stats with 60% signal strength. I purchased a wifi extender which boosted it to 73%, but i still lag in game and sometimes get disconnected while playing ranked games. I did wifi speed test on my laptop and get 55mbps down 4mbps up (used speakeasy)... also got that same speed on my Samsung s7 with a speed tester app. I did a factory reset on my modem and my wifi on my phone & laptop jumped to 105 to 120mbps down 5mbps up. My xbox STILL has 40/1 with wifi! So i got a 100ft Ethernet cable, and decided before i had it ran through the attic i would simply temporarily run it from my xbox to the modem down the hall.... now heres where I'm completely annoyed. My speed DROPPED to 25mpbs down 1mbps up. I really have no idea what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

See this article for some possibilities...

https://www.lifewire.com/fixing-common-xbox-360-wireless-networking-problems-818413

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hello

I would not worry about transfer speeds. There are two main reasons for this:

1. You dont know what server you connect to to check the transfer speed. It might be a local one or one further away. Which might have severe differences in achiveable speeds.

2. The amount of data travelling back and forth between your xbox and the game servers are not particularily demanding on your internet. For Battlefield 1943 I use about 20MB of transfered data during a 15minute long game. This could be done on practically any internet connection.

Eg: my 25mbit line would transfer 20MB in approximately 10 seconds. Your 40mbit line would do it in even shorter time.
But it is spread out over 15minutes. With a 256kbit connection you would use 12 minutes to transfer 20MB, so as you see, there is no need for insanely fast transfer speeds

What you should worry more about is ping times.

And going from wireless to cable will most likely make this better.

The reason for this is that wifi is a shared medium. Also it is half duplex.
This means that when someone is talking on the wifi channel, everybody else has to be silent. So if your brother is torrenting there will be a lot of waiting to be able to transfer the data to the server.

Also, if your neighbors use wifi that is on the same channel (or a channel that interferes with your channel) you will have to wait while they are transfering their data.

So, going to an ethernet cable will remove the variation wifi might introduce into the system.

Hth!

tfn

#4 Madmononoke

Madmononoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info! I did notice with wifi my ping is around 60 to 70 with cable its only 50 to 60. I was concerned the low download and upload speed were affecting my in game lag. However, shouldn't my modem output be higher than 20 if i used ethernet? Considering im supposed to have 105mpbs? It helps a lot when downloading large games or updates.

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

Hello again

Think of the internet as a set of roads.

Your road to the ISP is 105mbit/s wide.

Now you go to do a speedtest. Sometimes the speedtest server is near you and you can travel on your fast 4 lane 105mbit road.
Other times the speedtest server is not so near and you start your journey on the 4 lane road, then have to go across a small valley with a winding road down to the bottom and up again on the other side.
Now this road might only handle 1 lane (20mbit) traffic at a time.

Or you end up in another country, where there is no knowing what kinds of road you have to travel to get there.
ISP's use third party companies to exchange traffic between networks / continents and there might be a traffic jam on their roads. 

The difference you might be because of this.
It is hard to say unless you can monitor the traffic and make sure its the same speedtest server every time.

Personally I'd rather have 10ms lower ping time and a lot less jitter than using 1,5h vs 7h on downloading a 60GB game :)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users