Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Professional

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 moselbee

moselbee

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:16 AM

I am in need of assitance please.....

I have been searching the internet and having not much luck..

I am sure my hard drive is the problem.. but this is point of sale computer that is holding 800 in credit card sales I despartely need to batch.. 

I can't start in safe mode or any mode, it hangs up on a blue screen telling me to remove an antivirus and reboot..I felt that it had a virus but am not 100% sure.  

I don't have a disk..or way to burn a disk, 

I do have another computer and a usb ..

I would love to repair it, but I will take simply getting into it to batch the credit cards...

before it was crashing I ran a scan disc.. it gets 40% through and crashes again.. 

Any insite would be much appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:43 AM

If you have the Windows XP installation media, try booting from that and enter the Recovery Console.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-enter-windows-xp-recovery-console-2624534

At the Command Prompt (Step 6 in the tutorial), type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:02 AM

Please understand that recovery is not my forte.......however......

If you were to burn an iso of any of the linux type operating systems.....and then boot the ailing pc to that operating system....you should be able to access the hard drive in question and transfer the credit card sale details in question to a usb stick.

Fatdog64

...springs to mind as a suitable method of achieving this.

Basically the 'iso' is 'burnt' to either a cd or a usb stick......the ailing pc is then booted to the usb or cd....and this will gibe you access to the hard drive containing the sales details.

Personally i prefer using a usb stick,via either unetbootin or pendrive linux.

Certainly a bit of a learning curve....but with 800 in sales depending on it...that should provide some incentive

I will watch the topic....and if all else fails I will attempt to guide you through.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Fatdog is good but the copying of files is a little different. I would not run chkdsk at this point as your data is more important. Running chkdsk on a corrupted file system can make data recovery much more difficult. 

Edit: I believe fatdog is 64bit and depending on the age of the computer the CPU may not be able to boot the disk if the CPU is 32bit. 

If fatdog cannot boot to the desktop I would recommend using Parted Magic. Burn the iso to a disk using any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. The same method can be used for burning fatdog to a disk. Boot Parted Magic and follow the guide here.

If all else fails and the hard drive is easily accessible remove the drive and use a USB adapter attached to another computer. One similar to this would work on all drives.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 June 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

I would buy a USB adapter as JohnC suggests immediately. This will allow you to take the drive out and access the data via a USB port on another computer so that you can back it up before doing anything else. Business information is too critical to stand to loose.

I have one of those USB adapters. They are quite handy and well worth the few bucks they cost.

First order of business is to back up your data

Then you can run chkdsk /r on another computer as well as the manufacturers diagnostics to see if the drive is failing.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 moselbee

moselbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

OK.. I dont even know the first thing about this usb adapter you speak of.  I honestly don't know if the computer is a 32 or 64 or what I am working with.  This system belongs in a small corner pizza shop, it was there when we bought it but it.  I called the company that would typically do our tech support and they want 250/hr to just look at it and they seem to always have the the hard drive is bad and we have to start over.. so I really would love to figure this out without them... at least getting the cc settled.  

Idk if I pull the data how it will even work bc there are so many licensing rules that come with it.. ugg what a mess for me.

OK tell me what this usb adapter is, it is possible that I can pick one up tomorrow and see what kind of damage I can do,,kidding, I sure hope not. 

Thank  you for any advice. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

You first need to see if the hard drive can easily be removed. Be careful not to touch the drive's PCB (printed circuit board). Touch some bare metal of the computer before removing the drive.

I linked to the adapter in my post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

You should be able to pick one up locally. Make sure it has power adapter so it can be used with 3.5" HDDs.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

" I called the company that would typically do our tech support and they want 250/hr to just look at it and they seem to always have the the hard drive is bad and we have to start over.. so I really would love to figure this out without them... at least getting the cc settled. "

You would need to weigh the cost of losing the data against the cost of repair.

For many other reasons, you are playing with fire using Windows XP for business purposes (or any other for that matter).

You might want to think about purchasing a new system with Windows 10.

You would need to have someone make what is called a Linux Live CD that you can boot from on the old system, and use to help you retrieve the data.

This is a good example for doing frequent full disk image backups, and daily backups of volatile (changes frequently) personal, and in your case, business data.

On any system, it is not a matter of if, its when disaster strikes.

Hard lesson to learn.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Consider the fact that a system running XP isnt worth the $250 /hr that your tech people want to look at that.

THey should be upfront and tell you that too

Top priority is that customer data. Order one of those devices. They are cheap

Then take the drive out, it will come out easily, and attach it to another computer

That way you can at least copy your data

In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 tom42

tom42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

What I do for backup is use XXClone and copy to an exactly the same model hard drive, newly reformatted, every few weeks.
Then, if I get a failure, I replace the failed hard drive with the cloned one.The cloned one is stored in a detached building.
In fact I keep 2 clones,  one in a more distant location, since the hard drives are cheap enough..

"For many other reasons, you are playing with fire using Windows XP for business purposes (or any other for that matter)."
There are an awful lot of business applications still using XP, and most of the business users do not even realize it or understand it. XP will be hanging around for a long time yet.

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2017 - 03:57 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#11 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:12 AM

I am in need of assitance please.....

I have been searching the internet and having not much luck..

I am sure my hard drive is the problem.. but this is point of sale computer that is holding 800 in credit card sales I despartely need to batch.. 

I can't start in safe mode or any mode, it hangs up on a blue screen telling me to remove an antivirus and reboot..I felt that it had a virus but am not 100% sure.  

I don't have a disk..or way to burn a disk, 

I do have another computer and a usb ..

I would love to repair it, but I will take simply getting into it to batch the credit cards...

before it was crashing I ran a scan disc.. it gets 40% through and crashes again.. 

Any insite would be much appreciated...

I don't know where you are located, but on the off chance you are in America, there is a source to buy Linux install CDs:

https://www.osdisc.com/

Cost is about $5.95 per disk plus maybe $4 postage.

Look these over:

https://lifehacker.com/5984707/five-best-system-rescue-discs

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-rescue-tools-for-recovering-linux-windows-or-mac-machines/

That should give you an idea what to buy. If you are not in America, let me know what country you are in and I will try to track down a source for Linux CDs.

Edited by Codaeus, 01 November 2017 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users