Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have to sign in every time I use my computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 macungiemike

macungiemike

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

I talking about leaving the computer for a few minutes and I have to login each time.

Is there a way I can lengthen the amount of time before I have to login again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

I suspect you're not truly logging in, but having to enter your password when awaking from sleep.

Open Settings, Accounts, Sign-In Options Pane then take a look at the first option, "Require Sign-In."   If you wish to never be prompted for your password except when you're literally logging in if the machine has been restarted or you intentionally logged out then set it to "Never."  I'm willing to bet a large sum of money it's set to "When PC wakes up from sleep."

Edited by britechguy, 16 June 2017 - 07:11 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Indeed the lock screen timeout can be turned off, I leave it off myself.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:20 PM

I suspect you're not truly logging in, but having to enter your password when awaking from sleep.

Open Settings, Accounts, Sign-In Options Pane then take a look at the first option, "Require Sign-In."   If you wish to never be prompted for your password except when you're literally logging in if the machine has been restarted or you intentionally logged out then set it to "Never."  I'm willing to bet a large sum of money it's set to "When PC wakes up from sleep."

Good to know.  I was not aware this setting, but now I will pick it.  One thing about it is that the setting does not specifically say that user still needs to sign-in upon fresh start or restart.  One would think that setting to "NEVER", a user should not need to sign-in for computer start/restart.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

One would think that setting to "NEVER", a user should not need to sign-in for computer start/restart.

No.  There is not an OS maker in the world that has multi-user login that would make logging in go away via a means that simple.  Notice what the prompt itself for the choice says, "When you've been away . . ."

There are ways to set up Windows such that you never have to log in by hand, but you have the machine do it for you.  I have done this for some of my blind and visually-impaired clients whose machines are not mobile and over which there is constant physical access control.  I don't do it, and actually won't do it, for my sighted clients.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users