Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pictures folder names - don't like the date format Britechguy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Maybe one for Brian?  Saw the Picasa post.

I use Canon EOS software to extract photos from my camera.  They go to my Pictures folder.  I have the EOS software set to name folders as  YYYY-MM-DD

I specifically set the separator to be a hyphen, not an underline as I do not want YYYY_MM_DD

Folder names come out in the precise format I do NOT want.

Any ideas why this is being overridden?  Windows naming screwing things up?  Picasa, of course, simply reflects what occurs previously and in any event I don't know of anything there that would amend this for me.

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

Not sure if it will work but you can change the default date format for Windows 10 in Control Panel but this will change everything, not just photo folders.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-date-and-time-formats-windows-10

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

No, no change.  I now have Windows instructed to show YYYY-MM-DD and EOS software configured the same but it still auto-creates new picture folders with Underscores _ instead of hyphens -.

Why oh why will this damn operating system not do as it's told?

Thanks for suggesting the possible fix.

Hoges

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

I don't believe it's the OS.

I use FastStone Image Viewer (which does way more than just viewing images) as my image manager for multiple devices including a Sony digital camera and a couple of smartphones.

It creates a directory structure starting with YYYY.  Under that the photos are loaded to a folder named YYYY-MM-DD, and I have elected to have all photos renamed from whatever the device might call them to YYYY-MM-DD_HH.MM.SS.extension

Works without a hitch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

Not sure if it will work but you can change the default date format for Windows 10 in Control Panel but this will change everything, not just photo folders.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-date-and-time-formats-windows-10

Yesterday it refused to work.

Today, it does work?  Thanks.

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

I don't believe it's the OS.

I use FastStone Image Viewer (which does way more than just viewing images) as my image manager for multiple devices including a Sony digital camera and a couple of smartphones.

It creates a directory structure starting with YYYY.  Under that the photos are loaded to a folder named YYYY-MM-DD, and I have elected to have all photos renamed from whatever the device might call them to YYYY-MM-DD_HH.MM.SS.extension

Works without a hitch.

Had a quick look.  Will download and check how it works when I have more time up my sleeve.  Trying to stick with Picasa for the moment but who knows what will happen when Google realises its plan to force the world to their cloud will fail dismally.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

hogesinwa wrote, in part:  Trying to stick with Picasa for the moment but who knows what will happen when Google realises its plan to force the world to their cloud will fail dismally.

I expect that Picasa 3.9 will function "perpetually" now as a local program.  The only thing it doesn't do that it used to do is have any connection to cyberspace via your Google account.  Some people see that as a distinct advantage.

As to your "force" comment, my only response is, "that ship has sailed, and is at cruising speed."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users