Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Restoring Image to 2nd HD and Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 asker7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hello and thank you for your help,

I have had a hard drive crash (had backups so that's good). I have a new hard drive with Windows 10 on it. Before the crash I had made an image of the original drive (using Macrium Reflect) that seems to be good.

What I want to do is restore the image to a 2nd installed hard drive.

That should work I think but my question is what happens boot wise?

1. Will the newly imaged HD just boot right up if it was by itself?

2. If both HDs are bootable what happens when the computer is restarted? I don't want to mess up any boot operations.

3. Do I have to disconnect the one I'm using now? Are there any boot operations or order of boot or anything I need to do?

I would love to keep the hard drive I am using now as a spare operating system. I wouldn't mind a dual or even triple (adding another HD for Linux) bootable hard drive setup.

Thank you.

Edited by asker7, 16 June 2017 - 04:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users