Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Minimal Processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 channel8

channel8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Hi, I have a vaio laptop FS series using Windows XP and I was wondering how many processes are normal vs. excessive. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

The number of processes is dependent on what you want Windows to do, how you want it to perform, what aps you want opened at startup, and what aps you open afterwards.

To stop processes from runninng on a permanent basis can be extremely dangerous unless you know exactly what you are doing and is not recommended.

There was one user in here last week that eliminated running processes and now has a severe problem because he hosed his operating system and has no way to reinstall it.

The best way to trim down resource use is to stop unnecessary aps from starting in your start menu when Windows starts, and the ap I recommend to accomplish that is Startup Inspector which identifies startup items so you have less chance of disabling something that should not be disabled and is therefore better than the Windows utility, msconfig.

Startup Inspector freeware (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

My advice is to leave services and processes alone. (by the way, I usually have 40 to 50 running)
If you think you have malware using processes there are other ways to address it. Do you?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

BC maintains an extensive Startup Application Database (StartupList tabbed at the top of the BC page) that can provide you with the information you need to make a sensible decision about which you need, which are optional, and which should not be allowed on boot.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

I have 40 or 50 running (but I have loads of RAM), but have gotten down into the high 20's at times. This took ton's of research to do and didn't result in much change to how the system behaved.

Do as Enthusiast and jgweed say to cut down on the number of running processes that aren't needed. Also, consider adding more RAM so that those you do keep aren't bogged down by having limited RAM to access.

512 mB of RAM is the minimum these days for XP with a normal load of programs running - but this will take a lot of work to make it run efficiently. I recommend 1 gB of RAM to everyone that I talk to. This lets you spend less time on tweaking the system and more time using it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users