Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive incapable of being used to boot from?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Tried using a SanDisk flash drive to install windows 7 on a PC. The ISO is official. When booting from the flash drive, it brings up a menu asking for certain drivers. After some troubleshooting, i came to the conclusion that it wasn't drivers, nor the PC but the flash drive. I can boot a windows 7 installation from other flash drives without this prompt. If I try to install Linux on a PC with this flash drive, the installation always fails. Anyone know how I could fix this?

P.S. Have tested on multiple computers, similar results. Have tested with multiple flash drives, this is the only one it happens on of those I have tried..

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

What did you use to make the drive bootable? When you attach the USB flash drive and open Computer does it list the Sandisk as local disk or removable disk?

There are tools that can check the flash drive.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-check-and-test-usb-flash-drive/

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Well, the first time I tried it, i did it myself with diskpart (formatting, making it active, etc), then i tried using UUI.

Using Check Flash to test it in both stability and reading and writing, will update results

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 16 June 2017 - 12:57 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Use Rufus. If a UEFI computer select GPT for the partition scheme. If a Legacy BIOS select MBR. Rufus is the only tool I know of that will probably create a bootable flash drive if the Sandisk is shown as a local disk.

Some of the older Sandisk flash drive would appear to Windows as a local hard disk and not a removable disk.

#5 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

I just assume some ISOs cannot be used to boot install from USB.  Sadly I assume that instead of thinking something else.  The easy work around is just to burn a DVD.  I mean you could still store the ISOs on USB and burn them to DVD.  If you don't have a DVD burner you should get one regardless of the situation.  Use a SATA to USB adapter and you can boot to DVD from USB.

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

No errors when scanning as a physical device. When i scanned as a logical device i got this:

Test fail: Device read error, only 503808 from 507904 bytes was read.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Not sure why the logical drive failed when the physical passed. See if Rufus with the Windows 7 iso makes a difference when booting the flash drive. 

#8 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Just did it with rufus in GPT and MBR and neither gave a different result. I also had it scan for bad blocks and no errors were detected during the process. On another note, the other flash drives that did work worked with both me manually making them bootable and with uui. This one isnt working at all

ooh, i have a signature

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

If you are using this drive for data backup I would make sure you have the data backed up to a secondary device. Personally, with USB flash drive so cheap, I would bin the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users