Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows license

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 BeaconTree

BeaconTree

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:06 AM

My question is not about licensing itself, but some of the terms.  If this belongs in a different forum, please move it.

Early versions of the Windows 10 EULA gave Microsoft the right to copy anything, anywhere on your computer -- including flash drives and portable drives -- and use it and distribute it to Microsoft partners.  I'm not saying that they ever robbed anything on anyone's computer and used it this way, but the legal language gave them the right.  I'm trying to find out if this is still the case.  Hard to find out from Web searches.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

It's true that a limit of 50 activations appears generous, but I'm one of the few who might find it restrictive. As an incurable Linux distro-hopper for a number of years now, I have done countless installations on the same machine. And many of those have been Windows 10.
Also, I prefer clean installs to upgrades, and any problems I've encountered with W10 I have often solved by reinstalling. It's just so easy, and takes only about half an hour.

E_sman's exchange with MS support is the only evidence I've seen of a possible limit. Most of the replies I've seen on related matters at answers.microsoft.com say there is no limit.

And all this got me thinking. If I have used up 30 activations (no idea, just a guess) in 2 years, then surely there is someone who has passed the 50 mark. But a web search for activation limits only brings up MS Office problems.

Also, a look through the list of Windows activation error codes shows none related to limits.
I would have thought there'd be an error code if limits were a genuine issue.

Obviously this doesn't affect the vast majority of Windows users, but does anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding MS's current policy?

#33 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

I don't have very much evidence except anecdotal experience on this subject. I am a Windows 10 insider and I hang around with a bunch of other Windows 10 insiders. For my group of friends it is not uncommon for us to do 15 to 20 clean installs of Windows 10 a month during the period right before the public release of a new version of Windows 10. During an average year my group of friends averages 100 clean installs each year, so many of my friends have done 300 or more clean installs of Windows 10. For me and my personal experience, I have done at least 120 clean installs.

Like I said, I hang out with a large group of Windows 10 insiders and I have never heard of anyone "hitting their limit." Like I said, this is anecdotal, but it is based on personal experience.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#34 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Rocky, that's very helpful to know.

And as Joe C pointed out, what would MS gain if I lost my license anyway?

By the way, here's the most recent discussion I've seen about this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users