Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows license

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 e_sman

e_sman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hi., am new to this forum and have a nagging doubt abt. windows licensing with hardware ..

the OP was raised in MWB forum and have given my views (as 'sman') on the topic and would like to know your views on it.. tks..

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/202242-windows-license-key/

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 June 2017 - 06:25 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Win 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

The Windows 10 Digital Entitlement is tied to the motherboard.  This is well documented.

I do not know, nor do I particularly care, what unique identifier they are able to grab to make that link, but it's got to be there and it's got to be universally "grab-able" and unique.

You can swap out hard drives, optical drives, keyboards, you name it to your heart's content.  As long as "the heart of the computer" remains unchanged you can install Windows 10 daily, if you do desire.  People have posted on these forums repeatedly about changing out HDDs for SSDs on existing systems with Windows 10 and were able to clone their existing systems over to the new storage device and have everything working fine.

Microsoft wisely used as key a specific piece of hardware that very, very seldom ever gets changed on the vast majority of computers.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy -> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.
    ~ Commenter "TheCruyffGurn" on The Guardian, 8/13/2014

#3 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi, yes I do know that components can be changed and MS itself states that motherboards also can be changed as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/windows-10-activation ..

but the question is about motherboards uniqueness for this method of OS activation to stand the test.. and if by this if systems are unique and identifiable, then all other systems/user tracking methods will be superflous ,-

- no need for software product keys to activate & track license

- no need for websites to go for cookies, canvas fingerprinting, IP tracking etc. to track users

- Tor will no longer have effect, no Dark web, cyber crime can be well tracked and can go on & on..

why then are these methods in place at all?

#4 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

what I[m trying to say is that it can only be a combo of hardware and not exclusive to motherboard only and any hardware changes under restriction for key-less license.. kr. if hardware combo undergoes too many changes the logic will not work, further activation will not work..

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 2,966 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

All I can go on is what Microsoft itself has said.  Once a machine is licensed (by which I mean Windows 10 is installed and activated), regardless of how that was accomplished, afterward a digital entitlement is stored on their servers for that machine.  Even if you did so via license key on a new machine after the process is complete a digital entitlement is created.

They state that one can reinstall Windows 10 without limit on the number of times on hardware for which a digital entitlement exists.

The digital entitlement has been clearly and repeatedly stated as being directly linked to the motherboard and nothing else.

I believe what Microsoft states as they are the ones who originated the whole paradigm.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy -> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

why I've nagging doubts on this, is becasuse I did come across during Win 10 launch that this digital tracking will be a combo of hardware and that hardware changes are restricted and may be one at a time, if major changes are effected in one go, then license wil not work and it is why MS also says abt. motherboard change too.. ie. if components are changed one at a time and license activated then digital signature will update to hardware change but under major hardware combo change at a go will fail.. this is what i look for confirmation, when MS says motherboards too can be changed..

and if I'm wrong, then if motherboards are unique to track why is it not follwed to track user's and why all tge other tracking methods being gone for?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 2,966 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Your nagging doubts cannot be resolved by myself, and that's not meant as snark.

I repeat:  I believe what Microsoft states as they are the ones who originated the whole paradigm.

Of course, a paradigm shift, addition, etc., could occur at some later point in time.

I have no idea why you'd think that Microsoft wants to track your every move (as that seems to be what you're saying).  All OS makers that are not open-source have had licensing paradigms since day one.  They want to make sure that their software is not being pirated, and we all know that this has had somewhat limited success up to now.  By linking licensing to hardware it becomes infinitely harder to install pirated copies (though I am sure that some clever thief will figure out a way - they always do).

#8 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

It's not abt. OS tracking but the very concept of user tracking with hardware comes to the fore to make existing tracking methods superflous/redundant..why is this not the case, if tracking user's thru' hardware is straight forward and with ease..? (say just system calls could give away hardware, then are the other methods needed st all?

#9 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

It get's even more complex as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

If you linked your Microsoft account to your Windows 10 digital license on the device before you make the hardware change, you can reactivate Windows using your sign in info:

If you’re signed in using the correct Microsoft account, here are some additional reasons why you can’t reactivate Windows:

• You reached the limit on the number of times you can reactivate Windows on your device.
  • The type of device you’re activating doesn’t match the type of device you linked to your digital license.

You can say it's MS paradigm on it's product usage but when one probes it, it does'nt appear as simple..

#10 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

Must say that MS license tracking is not fool-proof and still susceptible to piracy.. and hence, user tracking thru' hardware is not an option and existing tracking methods are gone for..

#11 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:27 AM

There you go, OEM rights do not apply for Germany due to Court ruling and retail copies can be transferred to other devices..

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-new-license-terms-for-windows-10-no-surprises/

• Transfer rights. I heard some observers speculate that the new terms would limit Windows 10 transfer rights. Nope. The new license agreement preserves the longstanding transfer rights: OEM copies are locked to the device on which they're sold, retail copies can be transferred to a different device as long as the old copy is removed first. (The Windows 10 EULA includes a specific exception for PC buyers in Germany, who are allowed to transfer OEM software thanks to a court ruling.)

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/9799-windows-10-license-agreement.html

Windows 10 License Agreement

Looked at the License agreement that came with my Windows 10.

I assume a Stand-alone version is Retail or maybe OEM like Windows 8 Personal Use license.

4. Transfer. 
The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software as a consumer in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.
a. Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.
b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.
26710d1485953264t-windows-10-license-agr

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Hi., am new to this forum and have a nagging doubt abt. windows licensing with hardware ..

the OP was raised in MWB forum and have given my views (as 'sman') on the topic and would like to know your views on it.. tks..

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/202242-windows-license-key/

I have no issues with the licensing agreement.

Edited by jwoods301, 17 June 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#13 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:12 AM

I just got a shocker , chatting with MS support, that "the Windows license has a limit for reinstallation, you can reinstall Windows for only 50 times, if you exceeds that limit your license will be blocked by the server." and this is not included in EULA since it's a enteral information, and no one is really exceeding that limit. You will only exceeds that limit if you try.

Now, this completely changes, user's rights, use of VM's etc..I'm shocked and so would any other user..

#14 e_sman

e_sman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

here is that MS chat transcript..

Attached Files

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 2,966 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

I'm shocked and so would any other user..

You would be; I would not.

This is a classic anti-piracy technique and 50 installations is extremely generous.  I have also known of situations where limits like this were reached due to testing of hardware upgrades and changes that "were not going well" and typically calling the company and explaining the situation will get you a reset without issue.

You really love making mountains out of less than molehills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users