Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade BIOS by using EFI shell ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wimmy

Wimmy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hi, I got a Z77 motherboard with a BIOS that doesn't work, except I can get an EFI shell prompt.
I want to know if I can use the shell to replace a broken BIOS with one that works ?

I have a USB stick with a FAT32 file structure /EFI/BOOT
I have the latest BIOS file for the motherboard (MSI Z77-GD55), extracted to the BOOT directory of the USB
I can cd through the USB files using the shell commands.
I see a startup.nsh file which I believe I have to run to start the update process, but nothing happens when I enter the filename.

How do I start the BIOS update process ?

There are the following files

7751v1x.txt

AFUD2385.exe

Bootx64.efi

E7751IMS.1B0

Shell.efi

Shellx64.efi

startup.nsh

What to do ? :unsure: 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Warning. This could brick your computer. Proceed at your own risk. The Afud2385.exe can perform a flash in DOS mode. It would be best if attached to a UPS power supply if available because if there is a power interruption during the flash it has a high probability of bricking your computer.

Download Rufus. Attach your flash drive and run Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme in the dropdown box and leave all boxes as checked. Use Fat32 for a file system.

In the dropdown box that lists iso image select FreeDos. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

Copy AFUD2385.exe and E7751IMS.1B0 to the root of the flash drive. 

Boot the flash drive if possible as the computer is UEFI the flash drive may not boot unless the MB can sense it being formatted FAT32. If the flash drive does not boot then try tapping F11 at boot to access the boot menu. If you can get the USB flash drive to boot using FreeDos you will boot to a command prompt. It may be A: or a different letter. Type Dir at the prompt and see if the two files you copied are present. If not you will need to try a different drive letter at the prompt.

i.e.   type B:\   <enter>    and do the Dir command again until you see your two files. When the files are listed type the following command to flash the BIOS.

AFUD2385 E7751IMS.1B0    

This should start the flash. After the flash is complete reboot your computer. Tap F2 at boot and reset your UEFI/BIOS settigns. Hopefully it works and the computer is not bricked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 June 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#3 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

I got to a point in computers that I question myself why do I want to flash update my BIOS.  I know there are bug fixes but I just assume that BIOS code is intensely tested before release.  The only reason I would want to flash my BIOS for an excuse is to install and upgrade to the newer AMD Phenom II processor line on one of my desktop computers.  I would have to because the BIOS does not know what a Phenom II processor is.

#4 Wimmy

Wimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the tip. Is that the software from the AMI BIOS site ? Can I use the linux version of Unetbootin to do this ? Or use RUFUS in WINE ?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Rufus is a utility to make a bootable USB flash drive running FreeDos. It is not from the MSI site. There is no need to run it in Wine unless you do not have an available Windows computer. My idea was to boot to DOS then run afud2385 in DOS mode.

From the image on the Unetbootin page I believe you can if the format is FAT32. Format the drive with Gparted as FAT32. Note: You may need to name the flash drive FAT32. See this post.

There is an option in the dropdown to use FreeDos.

screenshot1.jpg

#6 Wimmy

Wimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

I did it via windows and it worked perfectly. I now have a functioning motherboard that was previously junk. Excellent, thank you very much my friend for taking the time to help me out. XX

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Your Welcome, and I am happy it worked out for you. Thanks for taking the time to post the update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users