Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reinstall W10 from back up disks, from W7 install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomwilde

tomwilde

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

My old hard drive crashed. I had the free upgrade of Windows 10 on it

from my prior W7 installation. I did make back up disks prior to hard drive that died. I have a new hard drive and installed W7 on it. What should I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

What you should do is go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, download the media creation tool and create either a bootable USB or DVD of the Windows 10 installation media and install it.

You need not have bothered with getting any OS on the new hard drive.  Once a machine is legally licensed for Windows 10 and Windows 10 has been activated a digital entitlement is stored on Microsoft's servers that allows you to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch on that machine as often as you like.  [This presumes you are not changing out the motherboard, which is what the digital entitlement is linked to].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

If your Windows 7 install that was done using the backup disks has programs you purchased or was included with the computer I would backup your licenses or serial numbers for them especially if you have Windows Office. Doing a Windows 10 clean install using the Media Creation tool will require you to reinstall your programs.

Produkey can obtain your Office key.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,256 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

I definitely agree with John's advice with regard to getting the license keys for any third party software you had installed under Windows 7 that you want to reinstall under Windows 10.  I love Nirsoft's stuff and, just for the record, Belarc Advisor is a great tool for doing this, too.

You know, this situation brings up an interesting question for which I have no answer, because I've never tried it and don't know of anyone who has.  If you wish you could be the "trial balloon" on this one.  Will an "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 succeed on a machine that was previously upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, obviating the need to reinstall at least some of what was already used under Windows 7?

I know that you cannot do a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at this juncture on a machine that was not upgraded during the one-year free period, but I have no idea if the actual upgrade process can be reapplied to a machine that had previously been upgraded.  It might be able to be since the digital entitlement should still be on Microsoft's servers and I don't imagine they care how you're installing Windows 10 if you already have the digital entitlement to do so.

If you decide to give the, "Let me upgrade using the latest Windows 10 install media," route please do report back on whether it works.  If not you're no worse off except for the time expended.  Since you already have a backup of your Windows 7 installation you don't need to do that again.  After you've got Windows 10 back I would take an immediate backup of the system in its "absolutely fresh" state and then take another as soon as possible after you've done all the tweaking of privacy settings, installation of software, setup of your start menu, etc.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

You know, this situation brings up an interesting question for which I have no answer, because I've never tried it and don't know of anyone who has.  If you wish you could be the "trial balloon" on this one.  Will an "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 succeed on a machine that was previously upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, obviating the need to reinstall at least some of what was already used under Windows 7?

Brian, I was thinking this exact same thing when I posted my reply. It would be very interesting to find out if this was true. 

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Another tool for getting  and checking Windows licenses is ShowKeyPlus

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users