Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Can't Wake Up When Turned Off; Orange Light

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 faye raye

faye raye

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hello. Recently, my PC (It's a Dell desktop from 2015) has been having a problem with being fully powered down. When you press the Power button to turn it on again, it sounds like it's starting up as normal, but the power light is orange and the monitor doesn't activate. The first time it happened, it seemed to be because someone pressed the moon sleep mode key on the keyboard, and then it couldn't come back on. I tried disconnectint everything pluged into it, and different monitors. Nothing. I left it disconnected from the power supply and the power supply unplugged overnight. Then it just eventually turned on again the next day. It happened again, but this time from being turned off via the power button, but again it managed to start up again. I was trying to withhold from fully turning it off until I could figure out what was going on (restarting via the Windows home menu worked fine) but the other night it was installing updates and needed to turn off, and now it's back in this state again, and fiddling with the button isn't waking it up as it has the past two times- though I think that someone might have left the power supply cord plugged into the back of it overnight. Even though the power supply was disconnected from the outlet, the past two times the pc was left completely disconnected from the power supply overnight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

When you get the orange light and nothing else have you tried holding the power button in untiil it shuts down again and then a few seconds longer before letting go, then wait a few seconds before pressing the power button again to boot it ? 

My own computer dual boots and every so often it just hangs between the boot screen and the Grub screen. The above procedure is a 'fix', it's not correct but it gets my computer up and running. I know what caused the problem, I just haven't had time to get in fix it !

It is possible that your problem is caused by a failing PSU. If you have a spare handy I would try a swap, at least if you can try a known good PSU and you get the same problem you will have eliminated the PSU as the cause of the problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

No, pressing the button that way didn't work. Failing PSU sounds logical, I'll try that.

#4 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

I forgot to mention, it's an Inspiron 3646.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

From what I have read a flashing amber light indicates a failing PSU and a solid light indicates some device failure, possibly the motherboard.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

The blinking amber light does mean that there is a problem with the PSU.

If you have a digital or analog multimeter you can check the three main rail voltages (12V DC, 5V DC, 3.3V DC).  If you don't have a meter or don't know how to use one you can purchase PSU tester, Amazon sells one for $6.99 US.

If you are using a PSU tester or can't start the computer you will need to do the following to bypass the motherboard and start the PSU.

You will have to open the side panel of the case to access the 24 pin PSU connector which is attached to the motherboard. 

Before you touch anything inside the case you need to discharge any static electricity in your body, this can be done by touching the metal of the case.

With the power off and the computer unplugged from the wall disconnect the 24 pin connector from the PSU which is plugged into the motherboard.  This is easily recognizable because of the large bundle of wires plugged into the 24 pin connector.   To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard.  Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed.

With the computer off and unplugged and the PSU connector disconnected from the motherboard you will need to place a wire jumper between the green wire socket and any black wire socket in the 24 pin connector.  If this is a bare metal wire make sure that it is not left in a position where it can short to any metal.

When you plug the computer back into the wall receptacle it will start the PSU.  If you are using a PSU tester you will need to plug it into the 24 pin connector before plugging the computer back in.

Read and follow the instructions provided with the tester.

If you are using a meter to test the voltages you will need to set it to a DC Volt scale to a range which will read up to 20V.  Below are the variances acceptable for these voltages.

The following are the colors of the three voltage wires.

12V  Yellow

5V    Red

3.3V Orange

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

The light is staying on, not blinking, so I'm going to assume it's not the PSU then?

If it is the motherboard, what would have caused this? I said a blackout initially, but thinking back on it it was more like the power flickering in and out. This is a new PC that just turned two years old..

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

On the back of the computer, on the power supply, is there a green LED light? 1 is the self-test button you hold down. If the PSU is good the led will light green.

2235.BIST.jpg

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

The light is staying on, not blinking, so I'm going to assume it's not the PSU then?

If it is the motherboard, what would have caused this? I said a blackout initially, but thinking back on it it was more like the power flickering in and out. This is a new PC that just turned two years old..

This could have been a voltage surge, this could take out the PSU or other components if the higher voltage passes through the PSU.  If the green light on the PSU doesn't light up this would be a good indication that the PSU has failed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

Hm, my PC doesn't seem to have those lights..

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

I would contact Dell support and mention the solid amber power button light. If they say it could be PSU problem then follow dc3's post to confirm.

#12 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

I called Dell, and they said it sounded most likely to be the motherboard.

I noticed something else, the keyboard lights no longer light when the computer is running; I don't know if this is indicative of anything else.

The only thing that confuses me about this is that it seemed to start with accidentally being put in Sleep Mode, and is currently the way it is just from auto-restarting for a routine update..

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Dell has a diagnostic available by tapping F12 at boot. I would first powercycle the computer. Remove your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot while tapping F12. Hopefully you get something.

#14 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:15 PM

Nothing  happened

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:01 PM

I think it's to a point where you need to take this computer to a good shop to diagnose if it's a motherboard or PSU problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users