Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It A Good Idea To Make You Laptop A Server?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:04 AM

I need to create a forum for a student association. While searching for a webhost , i've got this sweet idea. Why not making my own computer as the host?

My computer is an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop. Here's the spec:

Intel Centrino core duo T2400(1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB , 2 MB L2cache)
ATI mobility radeon x1600 (up to 256 MB hypermemory)
100GB 5400 sata hdd
1024 ddr2 ram

Here is why i think it's a sweet idea :

- I could dedicate a lot of space for it (i've been thingking of creating a new partition around 1gig or more and dedicate it for the site).

-I'm using a 20MBps connection with unlimited upload/download rate. So i guess it's an unlimited bandwidth.

- I'll be using it just for a small time (or a medium ) forum , with just some basic stuff in it (photo upload enabled maybe). But if things goes well, i might just as well make it youtube enabled.

- No hassle because i'm just dealing with myself.

- Save money. Do i even need to tell why? :thumbsup:

So, what do you guys think?

Btw, if you guys have any cool link,software of turorial on this, i would appreciate much.

Take care and be safe,
Fairuz
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

I thought of this once. I got Apache server thing for free and was all ready to go, EXCEPT I found that doing this violated the TOS of my ISP.

So make sure your ISP is ok with it before you start, unless you want to risk getting caught. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:13 AM

OoO, i never thought of that!

But anyway, could you please tell me what you do besides installing apache? (for security especially)
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Securing a server is not something that can really be explained in a few lines on a forum. It may also be that you do not need Apache at all. If you choose to run a Java based forum, you can simply use Tomcat or Glassfish. IF you want to use PHP, then you may want to use Nanoweb. All of those pages (including Apache) have extensive documentation on both usage and security.

Whethor or not you wish to use a laptop for a server depends on whether or not you no longer wish to benefit from the mobility of a laptop. Everytime you pack up your computer for whatever reason, the IP will change, the connection will change, etc. Nobody will know how to connect to your system. If you don't mind leaving your laptop hooked to one connection, and on all the time, then I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Since laptops are meant for mobility, I don't think it is a very good idea to use one for a forum.

#5 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

Whethor or not you wish to use a laptop for a server depends on whether or not you no longer wish to benefit from the mobility of a laptop. Everytime you pack up your computer for whatever reason, the IP will change, the connection will change, etc. Nobody will know how to connect to your system. If you don't mind leaving your laptop hooked to one connection, and on all the time, then I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Since laptops are meant for mobility, I don't think it is a very good idea to use one for a forum.

Very good point there. I've been thinking about going on and offline everyday for maintanence and i haven't been thinking about the ip change at all. Silly me. :thumbsup:

Edit: But what if i use dynamic ip? Plus it's free, isn't it? (Source)

Edited by jbmoisin, 11 September 2006 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image

#6 groovy2

groovy2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

(groovicus here...)

Sure you can use dynamic updaters to keep updating your IP, but since it can take up to 48 hours for your IP to propogate out to all DNS servers worldwide, your users would still have issues trying to find the forum. And what happens when you are moving your laptop between locations? Nobody would be able to get on to the forum at all. And nobody is going to visit a forum if they never know when it will be up. 24 hour access is a must.

***admin note to self- remember to clean up this duplicate account later~g**

Edited by groovy2, 11 September 2006 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users