Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Antivirus for WinXP on Very Slow PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

I was using Avast 4.8 and then that was discontinued. I've been using ClamWin with Clam Sentinel and they suck to the point of being unusable. ClamScan.exe keeps eating all my RAM everytime it scans something and it slows the already slow computer to a crawl.

I'll probably end up with Avast 5 once I can get my hands on it - I'm on dialup. I've got a relative trying to download it for me onto a flash drive.

So... can anyone recommend Antivirus software for Win XP?

Here are my system specs:

2.4 GHz Celeron Processor

640 MB RAM

very little space on my hard drive (I'm afraid to look) - not even enough free space to defrag

dial-up internet

This computer is now my backup computer. But, I've been using it for the last 10 days because the PCIe modem died on my Win10 computer. I'm waiting for the new one to come in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

I would surmise your difficulties are because of the limited space on the hard drive. I would try cleaning all your temp files with TFC. After cleaning out temp files reduce the space allocated to System Restore. Consider moving all your data to an external drive and any important data you cannot afford to lose back up to DVDs or copy them to cloud storage. At this point I would also use CCleaner to clean up your XP KB update history.

You may want to consider using a small linux distro other than XP if the computer is only used for basic browsing and email. You wouldn't need to worry about an antivirus. For a computer with 640MB of RAM look at Puppy linux.

For any additional question you can ask in the BC linux forum.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

You may want to read these two recent topic discussions.Keep in mind that an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected rather than block or prevent the infection in the first place. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection. Zemana AntiMalware supports Windows XP.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

You can also quickly get some drive 'breathing room' by setting recycle bin properties to 1% of your drive space, vice it's default 10%....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Thanks. I'll look into the suggestions about the antivirus software and linux.

The problem with the hard drive is that it's only 40 GB. So with all the programs installed, that eats a lot of space. I also have a few large files (video and music, plus photos). I've tried to delete as many unnecessary files as possible, but that hasn't helped. I've been hesitant about removing some programs as they aren't compatible with Windows 10. I'll try seeing what else I can do. I didn't realize the lack of space could even be an issue.

Though, I'm considering taking a stick of RAM out of my non-working WinXP computer. I was hoping I could replace the hard drive and get that computer working since it's better and faster, but I don't know. The computer is from 2002 and requires an IDE hard drive under either 120 GB or 160 GB (something about the BIOS), which are pretty much non-existant. I'm also not sure if I have an XP installation disc.

I did get the relative to download Avast 5, but they couldn't get the VPS update file (150 MB). So that was all pointless. I probably won't be able to get the update until Wednesday. So my choices are sticking with ClamWin and Clam Sentinel which I can't even use, but are up-to-date OR installing Avast 5, which doesn't have up-to-date virus definitions (if any are included, they are from 2010 or so).

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

You can also quickly get some drive 'breathing room' by setting recycle bin properties to 1% of your drive space, vice it's default 10%....

Running Disk Cleanup on a regular basis helps as well.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

...The problem with the hard drive is that it's only 40 GB. So with all the programs installed, that eats a lot of space. I also have a few large files (video and music, plus photos). I've tried to delete as many unnecessary files as possible, but that hasn't helped...

You can always add an external hard drive and tansfer your large files (video, music, photos) to it in order to free up space. That way you don't have to delete them and if something happens to your computer, they will be safely stored away.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users