Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Rc1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

Okay, I downloaded RC1, installed it on a seperate partition, ran it, said "ooh pretty!" then got bored. How do I go about unistalling it?

I want to go back to my old setup (which is still there and accessible) of dual booting with XP and 2000. My only concern is the Vista bootloader. If I reformat the Vista partition, will the old bootloader screen come back? As it is, I have to use the Vista bootloader and select "Old Windows Installation" and then select whether I want XP or 2000. When I run msconfig in XP, it shows the old bootloader setup and doesn't mention Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

In addition to deleting the Vista partition, there's 4 files/folders in the root of your boot drive that need to go.

Boot folder
bootmgr file
bootsect.bak file
and one other that I don't seem to have on my system (prolly the bootsect.*** file)

I found this info with a google for "uninstall vista" after reading a few of the search results.

Then, check your boot.ini file to ensure that no changes were made to it (there wasn't anything significant in mine).

I've done many uninstalls this way and have only had one problem (having to select Windows twice from 2 different boot menus) in order to get it to load. This was with the pre-RC1 release.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

In effect what happens is that the system loads the Vista bootloader first. Then, if you select the older version of Windows - it drops you into your boot.ini file (and this may be the reason for my problem when I uninstalled it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Thanks a heap! I'll give it a whirl once I get home this evening.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

Okay, so here's what I did. I'll go into detail in case anyone else needs this info.

For reference, I have a multiboot system with Windows 2000 on the first logical drive (C:), XP on the second (E:), and Vista on the third (G:). The 2000 and XP installations predated the Vista installation and were happy and stable( :huh: )
  • First, I deleted the logical drive ontowhich Vista had been installed (G:)
  • Then I deleted boot.bak and BOOTSECT.BAK (none of the other files/folders that usamsa mentioned were there, I guess M$ can't decide which files to use and so they alternate or something... :huh: )
  • Then I rebooted using the XP CD to enter the recovery console.
  • In the Recovery Console, I entered the XP installation (rather than the 2000)
  • I entered the command:
    fixboot C:
    and answered yes to the warning messages.
  • I then exited the Recovery Console and rebooted. The Vista bootloader did not appear and Windows XP loaded correctly!
  • Then I edited the XP boot.ini file to remove the erroneous (and useless) entries made therein by Vista.
Success is sweet.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 September 2006 - 12:25 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

There should also be a folder named "Boot" on the C:\ drive - that's a remnant of Vista also.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

Nope. Double and triple checked (all drives including C: with system and hidden files shown)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users