Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EDGE browser now saving all download files as txt...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Just recently my EDGE browser has started "acting up" by saving all download files as .txt files.  This new behavior coincided with the installation of most recent Windows Updates on Tuesday, but I think that is merely a coincidence as I haven't found any mass complaints about this online after the update.

It appears EDGE basically no longer understands how to handle downloads.  I've also noticed that the name of the download file often appears to be erroneously long, as if it naming the file as the download link instead of the files name.  Other times I have noticed that instead of saving the file appropriate file extension, it saves the extension as part of the name.  For example, a download file "*.exe" becomes "*_exe", replacing the "." with a "_" so that the file doesn't have an extension.  And also the download often seems to fail with 0 bytes downloaded.

In cases where the file does download as a complete text file, I have been able to append the appropriate extension, and the file appears to be OK after that.  For example, I have been able to add ".exe" to the end of files, and they will execute.

But obviously something is quite amiss with EDGE...  Any suggestions how I might fix this?

I ran an sfc /scannow at the Administrator command prompt, and no integrity violations were found.

I haven't noticed any other problems with Windows 10, and none of the other installed browsers exhibit this problem.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CRLIII

CRLIII

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

I am also experiencing this issue. any ideas would be appreciated.

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

You might consider resetting Edge.

This How-To Geek article explains different ways of doing it...

https://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

Was a third-party temp file cleaner used just before the issue happened?

I read one thread on TenForums from 2016 where that was a cause, but the poster did not identify the product.

#4 CRLIII

CRLIII

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

this situation is occurring on a friends laptop. after repairing the power jack, I logged on but was only getting a temporary user profile. After correcting that issue, I found downloading any file from the internet in Edge resulted in a .txt extension. For instance, filename.exe downloaded as filename_exe.txt and filename.zip ended up as filename_zip.txt. There is no option to change the file type using "save as" - only txt option.

I had not used any 3rd party cleaners prior to problem. It was fist noticed when downloading ccleaner, Glary Utilities and Ultimate Windows Tweaker. I can change the extension to what it should be and install programs, but this is annoyingly time consuming.

I created a new user and this does not occur on that profile.

I have tried the 3 methods recommended by @jwoods301 without success. It is definitely related to the specific user profile, NOT Edge, although it does not occur on other browsers such IE, Firefox, or Chrome. I will post my solution when I find it. If someone else finds it, please post.

Thanks,

#5 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.

In my case, the solution was to restore a from a prior system image file.

I attempted a delete and full reinstall of Edge using Windows PowerShell.  While the re-installation was successful, it exhibited the same behavior with downloads.  Strange.

In any case, after that I decided not to further experiment, and wiped my Windows 10 partition with a prior image.  I make a point of using Macrium Reflect free version for imaging my system in case of such.

Best of luck to others.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:00 AM

@Oxonsi,

Good on you...if everyone would do that, most of the forums would be ghost towns.

I would be interested in the version/build of Windows 10 that have the issue.

The thread on TenForums mentioned above involved the Anniversary Update.

#7 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, I should make a point of doing more frequent full-backups.  It was a week or so out of date, and so I did need to do a little updating, etc.  But not bad.

In my case this happened with a completely up to date Windows 10 Pro install.  I installed the Creators Update at first opportunity a month or two ago.  My version shows 1703 and OS Build 15063.413.

I think some system files must have become corrupted or deleted somehow.  But they don't necessarily show up in an sfc /scannow; no integrity violations were found.  And full re-install of Edge also won't necessarily fix this issue.

I believe I've read that creating a new user account may correct the problem.  It is odd.

Thanks.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

This post here may have a solution for this problem!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 petermcg

petermcg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

New to the forum so apologies if I've broken any rules by adding this post. I ran into this problem with a new PC which only had Edge as a browser. My low-tech solution was to use the CMD prompt to RENAME the .txt file to .exe e.g. rename ChromeSetup_exe.txt ChromeSetup.exe. Then setup proceeded as usual, followed by assigning Chrome as default browser. I'm happy to use Chrome or Firefox until Microsoft fixes the Edge problem.

#10 NasMan

NasMan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

petermcg is right. Thank you very much. Editing the file name, removing TXT extension and adding the (.) before the EXE did allow the file to react normal for installation purposes. 

Now I have to do the same thing each time I try to RUN a downloaded file from IE or Edge. 

No problem within GoogleChrome and MozillaFox.

I have seen this issue in the past.  It most likely was an infection of some sort.  It is not new to MS Internet Explorers.

I am still doing my research to find a correction for this problem.

#11 MB053

MB053

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

found a solution to this problem

see link below. step by step manual.

https://www.icttoolbox.nl/how-to/edge-ie-browsers-now-saving-download-files-txt-fix/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users