Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 blocked long filename attachments since June patch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gweny

Gweny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

I've noticed users having installed the June updates cannot open certain attachments. They are automatically blocked by outlook 2010. So far I've seen .pdf and .docx blocked and the only common factor is the length of the name (so long they were truncated and have the "....docx" at the end). Users who haven't installed the updates yet can access the attachments without any problem.

Level1Remove in the registry doesn't work.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? And does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,

G

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IonU

IonU

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hi G,

Exactly the same here, still looking for a fix. I tried the Level1Remove in the registry doesn't work with no luck.

In addition to not being able to open attachments our users can't send them. The only temp fix I have is to shorted the file names to just a few characters.

Second time this Month MS has caused problems with updates.

Regards

IonU

#3 IonU

IonU

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

In case it helps somebody else.

Sending emails with attachments:

Instead of dragging the file to be attached, use copy and past or from the ribbon Insert and Attach file.

Hope this helps

#4 BadAnimal

BadAnimal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

It isn't just long file names but also something like this "Example, Inc..docx" will be blocked in Outlook 2010

Outlook 2013 and 2016 will not block that.

#5 computerscott2

computerscott2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

The problem is with the MS update in June. Here is an article describing what is happening:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/news/attachments-blocked-after-applying-june-2017-updates.htm

If any filename has either 2 dots or an exclamation point and a dot will get stripped, even if it is a safe attachment (i.e. pdf or txt). So text!.txt and text..pdf will get stripped. Also note that Microsoft truncates long filenames in attachments by putting ... to indicate that it has been truncated. Them MS strips the attachments due to the double dot rule above. How very MS of them. I think the truncation limit is 71 characters but it could be shorter. I can confirm this happens to Office 2010. This update also affects calendar invites with attachments. Users with Office 2010 cannot open the attachments by double clicking them, they have to copy and paste them to their desktops and then they can open them. Does not affect Office 2016 though.

Also MS is aware of the issue and MIGHT offer a fix, but don't hold your breath. Here is the KB article describing the MS awareness and known workarounds:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-known-issues-in-the-June-2017-security-updates-3f6dbffd-8505-492d-b19f-b3b89369ed9b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Also keep in mind that one of the workarounds is to just remove the patch; however once the bad guys know that people are removing the patch they will exploit the fact that people are purposely making themselves more vulnerable and use whatever flaw was found to create the patch.

Patches are created because someone has shown the vendor there is a hole, reopening the hole exposes you to a known exploit path. Think of it this way: Road repair crews do not repair potholes they don't know about, they only fix a  pothole when someone reports it to them.

Edited by computerscott2, 28 June 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#6 mccarty82

mccarty82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

I am suggesting to try "Long Path Tool" program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users