Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot connect to SENS service ... most functions disabled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Monsey

Monsey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 15-3552. Had a freeze up about five days ago, but I got through it with no problems. Ran Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Avast and no problems detected.

Went to connect to a restaurant's webpage from their Facebook page today. It brought up something that said that my PC had the Zeus virus. I closed the page without clicking anything. Ran MalwareBytes. No issues. Followed with Avast. No issues detected. Was on for maybe another hour or so.

Shut down my laptop today, but when I turned it back on later, got the Windows cannot connect to a SENS service message. The problems prevents standard users from signing in ... Tried a restart -- same problem. Got the same message after signing in on a Clean Boot.

Here's the deal: I cannot get on the Internet (I am using a second laptop for that), cannot get on in Safe Mode with Networking, have many Windows functions that are not working (such as opening a word document), some functions work, some don't. I haven't figured a reason for which ones work and which do not. When I am in regular mode, I get a message soon after starting that the PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

If I leave the sign-in screen up long enough, it seems like it restarts. 

Malwarebytes does not operate in regular mode or safe mode, with an error message when I click on it. Avast opens up, but gives me a " UI Failed to load" message, saying "AV Service" is not responding. SAS does work, both in regular mode and safe mode.

SAS came up with nothing at all wrong in safe mode, and the scan was clean on regular start-up until the PC restarted itself. I tried sc /scannow, and it said it could not scan in regular mode and did not detect anything in safe mode. Tried system restore in regular start-up and safe mode. Tried the last two restore points and got the message, after going through the entire process, that it could not be restored.

When I clicked on something it attempted to open Microsoft Edge, but I got a message that I could not open with my Built-In Administrator account.

I've seen some messages from people with similar problems about checking services. I looked in and the items that seem to need to be on Automatic are correct. Tried a repair in the programs for Windows Essentials, but that did not help me open a document.

SAS and Malwarebytes are the free versions, so they do not operate at the same time. I have not had conflicts with them and Avast in the past, either.

So any ideas? 

EDIT: Just got a BSOD Critical Process Died when moving from the sign-in screen but before I got to Safe Mode.

Edited by Monsey, 15 June 2017 - 02:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monsey

Monsey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:34 AM

SOLVED: Tried Command Prompt Nesh Winsock Reset and that did nothing. (Others had success with it).

Then tried something similar that others had success with Nesh Winsock Reset Catalog.

That worked, The system does seem to be a bit slow at start, but it looks like everything is working. Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows.

If, before the topic is closed, someone could tell me what that does and why perhaps I had to do it, I would appreciate it. If not, hopefully these solutions will at least help someone down the road. That was 9 hours I'll never get back.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

As far as I know, netsh winsock reset and netsh winsock reset catalog do the exact same thing. In other words, they both reset the Winsock catalog to a clean state. (It is important to note, however, that it doesn't reset Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)). Did you miss the t by any chance, and did you restart for changes to take effect?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Monsey

Monsey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

SOLVED: Tried Command Prompt Nesh Winsock Reset and that did nothing. (Others had success with it).

Then tried something similar that others had success with Nesh Winsock Reset Catalog.

That worked, The system does seem to be a bit slow at start, but it looks like everything is working. Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows.

If, before the topic is closed, someone could tell me what that does and why perhaps I had to do it, I would appreciate it. If not, hopefully these solutions will at least help someone down the road. That was 9 hours I'll never get back.

As far as I know, netsh winsock reset and netsh winsock reset catalog do the exact same thing. In other words, they both reset the Winsock catalog to a clean state. (It is important to note, however, that it doesn't reset Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)). Did you miss the t by any chance, and did you restart for changes to take effect?

I did not miss the T, as is the case in what I wrote above, because I went over things and actually missed the T originally and refilled it in, and I did restart. It is possible that something happened during the restart. I had to try to restart three times because it seemed to keep going back to safe mode when I would tried to sign in. 

Or maybe I missed something else on the first go around.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, the possibilities are quite endless. At the end of the day however, it only matters that the issue is now resolved. :)

Best regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users