Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

date formats in Excel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

We are trying to control the date formatting in Excel cells.  The program gives many options to format an inputted date in a cell, and to change format for a column of cells, but no option is shown or accepted to make the format conform to  MM-DD.  june 14 is turning into J-17; but what is wanted is  either 6-14  OR   06-14.  In fact, cell not even accepting the data that is input.  Trying to type in  6-14, and then moving to another cell forces the just-input information to appear as  J-17.  This is very far wrong.  Does anyone know how to control this?

Windows 10, 64-bit

MS Office 2016

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2017 - 08:22 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmoore0602

jmoore0602

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

This may or may not help you. I use time groups in a similar manner for a two hour period 08-10 or 16-18. If you select the drop-down box in the number section, select "More number formats...", then select "Custom", you can make a format 00-00. Then the number will always display as whatever four digits you type in. If you type in 623, it will display 06-23. Not exactly a date coding, but may be useful to you.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

This may or may not help you. I use time groups in a similar manner for a two hour period 08-10 or 16-18. If you select the drop-down box in the number section, select "More number formats...", then select "Custom", you can make a format 00-00. Then the number will always display as whatever four digits you type in. If you type in 623, it will display 06-23. Not exactly a date coding, but may be useful to you.

jmoore0602,

I am looking in the tab, the Numbers section, but I do not see any "More number formats" to select.  I do see on the left-hand list (for Category), the word, "Custom".  Can you give some guidance according to this?

Edited by cafejose, 19 June 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#4 jmoore0602

jmoore0602

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:01 AM

Sure. So along the ribbon in the numbers section, when you click the drop down menu, "More Number Formats..." is below the the scrolling options. This opens the "Format Cells" window (there are plenty of different way to open this window). Once there, select the "Number" tab. Under "Category", select "Custom". Then, in the text box under "Type", type 00-00. It will save as a custom option unless you delete it in the future. To select it again, highlight the cell(s) you want, go back into the "Format Cells" window, select "Custom", then select "00-00" from the menu under "Type".

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

Sure. So along the ribbon in the numbers section, when you click the drop down menu, "More Number Formats..." is below the the scrolling options. This opens the "Format Cells" window (there are plenty of different way to open this window). Once there, select the "Number" tab. Under "Category", select "Custom". Then, in the text box under "Type", type 00-00. It will save as a custom option unless you delete it in the future. To select it again, highlight the cell(s) you want, go back into the "Format Cells" window, select "Custom", then select "00-00" from the menu under "Type".

This is becoming much clearer for me, and I have reviewed this through Excel again.  Still have not actually created the format, but the method is much clearer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users