Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Says It's Using More Hd Space Than It Really Is

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobkart

bobkart

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:17 AM

My main hard drive (120GB) on my XP SP2 system started getting full, so I cleared some stuff off, but it still seemed to be using too much so I went to C: to see where it all was being used. About 3GB in \Program Files\, another 3GB in \WINDOWS\, and a 4GB pagefile. Then down in \Documents and Settings\Robert\, most of the space is taken up by the My Documents\ folder (~56GB), but the Nethood\ folder is reporting 12GB. When I first saw this I had the My Videos\ folder shared (accessible from other computers on the LAN), and that shared folder was showing up in Nethood\. I turned that sharing off, copied everything out of My Videos\, rebooted, that 12GB is still there, and yes it is contributing to the total amount of space that it says is being used on C: (78GB). But there is nothing in Nethood except a few links to Network Places. How do I reclaim this apparently wasted space? It should only be using 66GB according to my calculations (56GB in My Documents\ plus ~10GB system stuff).

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

Page file should be a minimum of 1 and 1 half times the amount of physical ram - more if you use graphics intensive aps that use a lot of resources, especially if you have a shared resource video card.

Some of what you are talking about is temp space allocated and "nethood" applies to more than just network connections.

One large user of space is system restore for which space limitation is not recommended should you ever need that function.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 September 2006 - 07:28 AM.

#3 bobkart

bobkart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Okay thanks for that information.

As far as I can tell my pagefile is fine. I have 2GB RAM and 4GB pagefile. I only mentioned it as it contributed to the total amount of space in use that the system reports.

12GB for System Restores seems awfully high. And wouldn't it be stored somewhere else besides in the Nethood directory? I guess I could try to remove some of the older Restore Points and see if that has any effect on the problem I am seeing.

So far I still feel that this 12GB is incorrectly being reported as hard drive space in use. If this is not the case then some explanation of what is taking up the space is called for. When I hover over the Nethood folder in Documents and Settings it reports that folder as having 12GB of data in it, yet all there is in there is a few links to Network Places. The fact that I was sharing the My Videos folder, and that folder appeared in the Nethood Folder prior to my unsharing it, and probably had 12GB in at some point, is what leads me to suspect that the sharing might be related to this problem.

Let me see what happens when I remove some System Restore information.

#4 bobkart

bobkart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

Removing all but the most recent Restore Point freed up about 0.5GB.

I copied off all my files of importance (and size!) in the My Documents/ folder to an external hard drive. Disc usage is now reported as 22GB, although it should just be the 10GB in C: (WINDOWS/, Program Files/, and pagefile). The 12GB is still being reported in the Nethood/ folder despite nothing but links to Network Places being there.

I'm running a Disk Defragmentation now. It's reporting that it's moving a file named HDV-Tape2.m2t. A search across the entire C: drive for a file with that name turns up no results. I did recently capture that file (from my HDV camcorder over FireWire using HDVSplit) several times in order to reduce the number of dropped frames I was getting. One time I tried to capture across the network, to a shared folder on another PC on the LAN, in the hopes that there would be sufficient buffering to mitigate the dropped frames problem. But after the capture was done, there was nothing in the destination folder. I now realize that it went into the Nethood folder apparently. But I can't see it. Yes I have hidden files turned on. The size of the files I captured with that name matches the size of the extra disk usage in question (12GB).

The plot thickens . . .

Edited by bobkart, 10 September 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

Set your computer to show hidden files and folders as well as system folders and see if the file becomes visable.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 September 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#6 bobkart

bobkart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

Folder Options were already set that way. Also, not too long ago I had unhid the Nethood folder and all contained files and folders. Then, after your suggestion, I changed both Folder Options (one for showing hidden files/folders, the other for hiding system files/folders) to hide the files in question. Browsed to the Nethood folder, nothing. Then set them back to show both kinds of files, again browsed to the Nethood folder, no change. I cannot see the 12GB file that is apparently in that folder (according what it reports if I hover over it, or right-click Properties while in the folder). I've also tried running a CMD shell and doing various combinations of DIR /AH, DIR /AS, and they all report File Not Found.

Hold on, I just got it. While I was in the CMD shell just now checking those DIR commands again, I tried a DIR /S and lo and behold there was the M2T file in "shared on Robert's Computer (VAIO)" what I thought was a link to a shared directory on another PC. In fact, browsing to that directory in the File Explorer DOES show the files on the other PC. But in the CMD shell there is just this lost file. I deleted it and now I have my space back! I'd have to say that this problem is/was the result of a bug in HDVSplit, such that it does not honor the Network Places links, and just writes to the local directory instead of dereferencing the target.lnk file that is in them that points elsewhere.

Case Closed, thanks for your help. I'll now be posting a warning about this problem in various other Forums that deal with HDVSplit (videohelp.com, camcorderinfo.com).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users