Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice for new case fans

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

So I was thinking about adding four more case fans to my current gaming computer and wanted some advice. I do plan to buy a new computer eventually, but would like some new fans now to prevent this computer from getting so hot. My PC case is a NZXT Source 210 and can support up to 7 fans: 1 in the rear which is included, 2 at the bottom, 2 at the front, and 2 at the top. The fan sizes it can support are 120mm for all sides but the top which can support up to 140mm according to the box. I currently only have the rear fan in my computer and was thinking of buying 4 corsairs blue led fans to go with it. 2 140mm fans to go at the top and serve as exhaust and 2 120mm at the front for intake. My question to anyone is do you think I should get 140mm fans or stick with 120mm for the top of the case? And should I have 3 exhaust/ 2 intake, 4 intake/ 1 exhaust, or 2 exhaust/ 3 intake? I have been reading about positive and negative pressure and it seems the answer is that it all depends on personal builds and such.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I prefer 140mm over 120mm. It all depends on what parts you have inside case.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Start with the front intake fans as they are what will pull air into the case.

Top mounted fans? Eh may not be needed but depends on your hardware.

I would just get two front 120mm fans for now for the front

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#5 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Oh it seems my motherboard only has 1 sys fan slot. My motherboard is a:  GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

well you could solve that with a fan splitter with a molex/SATA power converter

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Power-Adapter-PWM-Cable/dp/B00NFSZKWM

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for that!

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

there are also PWM splitters too using the motherboard fan connectors.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

The more case fans the better, but they require power so maybe just upgrade the cooling system.  I remember back in my corporate days there were server racks that were running too hot.  The IT director retrofitted fans inside the server racks for more air flow.  He wired a powerful fan on the top of each server rack and it was not standard.  There is the popular water cooling.  There is also oil cooling and some people use a fridge somehow to cool their components.  The problem with the fridge is humidity, but geniuses get around that issue.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

The more case fans the better, but they require power so maybe just upgrade the cooling system.  I remember back in my corporate days there were server racks that were running too hot.  The IT director retrofitted fans inside the server racks for more air flow.  He wired a powerful fan on the top of each server rack and it was not standard.  There is the popular water cooling.  There is also oil cooling and some people use a fridge somehow to cool their components.  The problem with the fridge is humidity, but geniuses get around that issue.

Eh there are diminishing returns however depending on the scenario.

It really hangs on the hardware used and how hot things really get under load.

Of course a server will be hotter than a desktop and often one cannot apply the same rules to all use cases.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

7 fans isn't nearly enough.  Your system is dangerously undercooled and is likely to overheat.  You should think of this computer as a bare minimum.  A starting point, if you will.

fan_casemod.jpg

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

7 fans isn't nearly enough.  Your system is dangerously undercooled and is likely to overheat.  You should think of this computer as a bare minimum.  A starting point, if you will.

fan_casemod.jpg

Seems like such setups you pictured would be rather silly.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 NicoForce

NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

fan_casemod.jpg

Seems like such setups you pictured would be rather silly.

I'd love to know how temps are in that case.

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

As there was insufficient room at the top of my smallish Corsair 100R midtower for the 2nd shifted upwards 140 mm fan to be mounted/attached directly to the intake side of the Noctua NH D15, I simply used the 2nd supplied 140mm fan as in intake case fan...not that it was really needed anyway.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

As there was insufficient room at the top of my smallish Corsair 100R midtower for the 2nd shifted upwards 140 mm fan to be mounted/attached directly to the intake side of the Noctua NH D15, I simply used the 2nd supplied 140mm fan as in intake case fan...not that it was really needed anyway.

We have the same exact CPU cooler, the one I have is on my main PC with Intel Devil's Canyon 4790K, temps are great at idle & under load. No more thermal throttling with benchmarking with Intel XTU. :)

Unfortunately, would had been better off with purchasing another for the PC with it's little brother, the i5-4690K, am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212, although with two Noctua NF-F12 fans, considering the cost of the fans & cooler combined, would had saved by the purchase of a 2nd Noctua NH-D15, plus had two cooling towers, rather than a single. Still, temps are decent with the push-pull configuration & I don't have to hear that fan rattle any longer. 

BTW, that fan would make a better case one for a budget build, rather than a CPU cooler, is flimsy at best, weighing literally nothing in comparison with the NF-F12 fans. Both are independently controlled by separate CPU can power ports (the 2nd is on CPU_OPT). The other issue with the Hyper 212 is direction, rather than blowing towards the exhaust, against the back wall instead. Tried every way to mount in other direction & couldn't. 

Still, one thing that helps on all three of my main PC's are that these has two intakes, even if 3 pin fans, speed can be controlled using the settings within the UEFI on both ASUS & ASRock MB's, plus a 120mm exhaust for all three. Two has some degree of natural open air top exhaust with dust filter, so stays cool w/out a fan installed. 

Bottom line, adding fans w/out planning isn't the right way, rather adding in the right places. Most premium cases will usually have these pre-installed, while quality varies, one should keep a couple of extra premium fans on hand, so when one begins to rattle or not work at all, can be quickly replaced. While costly, I cannot recommend Noctua enough, having an industry leading 6 year warranty, all kinds of extra wires/cables in the package more than makes up the cost & have peace of mind. Being 4 pin cabled also means a more precise cooling curve or selection in the UEFI (or BIOS).

Three to four high quality fans placed in the right positions will go much further than seven all over the place, what's desired is a strong intake of cool air with an exhaust flowing together, which dispels the heat from all components. :)

Side fans can disrupt the natural airflow, and why I don't install any, even on cases that supports these. Some of these may have an open space, good for passive intake, not so good for an intake fan, although some uses a cone for AMD CPU's with stock coolers for added downwards airflow to the CPU. In this case, a fan there may be good for that purpose (forcing more cooler air onto the CPU heatsink), still will disrupt the natural airflow to some degree by the cone being there. I don't install these myself, although have seen these on builds. my AMD PC's (FX-8350 & 6300 based) doesn't have this type of setup. The one with the FX-8350 has the same Hyper 212 EVO setup, only with a single Noctua NF-F12-3,000 PWM 120mm (3,000 rpm) fan, which would also work as an exhaust if speed is toned down. Too strong for an intake, would have to lower too much to best utilize the fan. My review of it is the one dated 01/20/2017 & found to be helpful by one Newegg member. Want a fan, here's one to behold. :thumbsup:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY4B02879

Now I know why this fan is an 'Industrial Series' model, is now running Level 6 (out of 10) speed & not loud, although was in my i5-4690K build other than in Standard Mode. Need a powerful exhaust fan, look no further than above, if the PC is on wheels (noted in my review) at full speed would double as a leaf blower, it's not going to leave any accessible hot air inside. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 June 2017 - 05:28 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users