Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding .NET Frameworks relating to Windows OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

This may be beyond the scope of this forum, jf it is, I apologize. 

I'm currently developing a windows application in VB.NET using VS 2017.  I chose to develop it in .NET Framework 4.0 

I am very new to all this developing stuff and to be honest I am not sure what .NET Framework I should have chosen for developing my program.   

I have a few questions:

1) Does developing it in .NET Framework 4.0 mean that my program can run on any Windows OS that has .NET Framework 4.0 or higher installed, or does it mean that the user specifically needs to have 4.0 installed?

2) Would it have made sense to develop my program in 2.0 Framework so that it could run on most older Windows without additional Framework downloads?

3) At any point during development, can I change to Framework 2.0 (in order to accommodate users with older Windows OS) and not have a problem with my current coding?

4) What is the best source for downloading .NET Frameworks?

Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Just to let you know that my question has been answered to my satisfaction on another forum (a coding forum).  IMO, BC is one of the two greatest forums in cyberspace but I realize that BC is not the best place to go for something like a .NET Framework question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users