Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Network Controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nuggetnoggin

nuggetnoggin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hello,

My Dell Latitude E7740 Win 7 64bit laptop stopped connecting to the internet one day, so I checked device manager and I'm missing a network controller. I have the yellow exclamation mark on it, and the ID is VEN168C and DEV0032. From there, I don't know what driver to install. I tried to search for solutions, but nothing really helped me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like the network interface failed.  There should be some diagnostics you can run. Look in the Dell section of programs or the option is available as a boot menu item

#3 nuggetnoggin

nuggetnoggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

What do I do?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Please copy and paste the first full line into your next post. Right click your Network Adapter > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs in the dropdown box.

Edit: Tapping F12 at boot on the Dell should give an option to do a diagnostic on the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 June 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

Hello,

My Dell Latitude E7740 Win 7 64bit laptop stopped connecting to the internet one day, so I checked device manager and I'm missing a network controller. I have the yellow exclamation mark on it, and the ID is VEN168C and DEV0032. From there, I don't know what driver to install. I tried to search for solutions, but nothing really helped me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Chance are you are infected.  Despite that, the best source for drivers is ALWAYS the manufacturer's site.  There's no such thing as an "E7740" so more than likely it's an E7440.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/drivers/advanced

There are several drivers available for download.  Also I notice a button to "download an operating system recovery image".  Usually they charge about $30.00 for these.  They want the service tag so I can't tell if it's free or not.  If it's free you should get one, save it, convert it to ISO and make a bootable USB drive and store that drive someplace safe for emergencies, such as the infection is so bad in your computer that it permanently pooches the O/S and you have to do a New Install.  It might let you do a Repair Install.

Also there might be some kind of software that will automatically update all the Drivers for you.  Some people like this as manually fussing around with each and every driver is a PITA and only weirdos like myself actually enjoy it.

While you are here you should look at all the various updates available and why they are there, sometimes they are "critical".  BIOS in particular is something to look at and think about.  DOING the BIOS flash is a different equation, but at least look at it, know where you are in the BIOS sequence and know what's available should you decide you need to do it.

I'd do the chipset drivers.  Last update Jan 2016 and it is "recommended".

Okay so anyways killing off the network is like step one of malwares plan to take over the world.  If you symptoms start to increase you should stop troubleshooting symptoms and start fixing the cause of the problems, which is probably going to be malware.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Sorry but I can't agree.  Malwares intent is to steal and to do so requires a internet connection.

"What do I do?"

What part wasn't clear?  Run the Dell diagnostics to determine if you have a hardware issue.  Reinstall the windows 7 driver [should be on your notebook now].  Download the driver from Dell's site if that doesn't work.

Last but not least you can get a usb network dongle and use that instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users