Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ongoing Wi-fi issues; can no longer connect to 5G

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 C. Fraser

C. Fraser

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hi all,

At the beginning of March I moved into a new situation where I had to connect my desktop to the internet through Wi-fi. I have one other housemate and we each have 2 devices that connect to the modem. My desktop, two phones and her laptop.

As soon as I had my desktop set up we started having problems with intermittent wifi connection issues with all our devices. After trying to troubleshoot it myself with no success, housemate called ISP and they sent a service person out. He determined that the issue was probably due to a splitter where they cable was running into the house, since we were only using internet access and not cable t.v. he thought that the signal was probably bleeding back into the unused part of the splitter (I may not be describing this exactly right, but this is how I remember him describing it to me). So he replaced it.

It did help, and for the past couple of months or so things worked relatively well. There were still occasional issues, but they were mostly brief and unobtrusive. 

For the past four or five days I have been having some major issues with my desktop wifi connection again. The other devices seem to work fine. No problems with my phone, and when I asked housemate about it she said she hadn't noticed any issues.

The problem with my desktop is pretty bad, and connection has been very intermittent. It will work fine for, say, 5 minutes, then will have a problem for a few minutes, and then come back for a while...and so on. I have been able to stream a movie a few nights ago, but other than that doing anything that requires a consistent connection hasn't worked out well.

I also can also no longer access the 5G connection to the modem. Previously I had used it as a preference, but now I can't even connect to 5G, and often don't even see it as an option to connect to.

I've tried resetting the ip address on my desktop, but that doesn't seem to work.

I also followed the suggestions on this site, https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht502846 but it hasn't helped either. 

When I checked the radio types supported it lists 802.11n twice, and then b, g, a.

So, I'm not sure what else to do, if it's an issue with my desktop's wifi board, or if it is another issue with the signal (which doesn't appear to be because like I mentioned the other devices don't appear to be having any issues.)

Any help will be appreciated!

Colin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:08 AM

I would see if there is a driver update for your computer. What model lenovo do you have?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users