Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hello folks, first of all sorry if i am posting in a wrong section (new here). Right, now about my problem. I have a Samsung NP300v5a (8GB RAM, i5-2450M CPU, nvidia GeForce GT520MX GPU, win7 home premium)  laptop, which works great in most cases, well, it did, until recently. 

Right now i am posting this topic via the laptop which has the problem. At this moment everything is working like it should, i can browse the internet, play games and do whatever people does with computers. Problem starts when the computer is turned off. 

Let's say, my laptop is now off and i want to turn it on:

1. i push the power on button

2. power button led lights up;

front panel leds lights up (power, charge (charge led is on whenever the laptop is plugged in));

front panel led indicating HDD blinks randomly;

fan starts spinning;

HDD is spinning;

ODD makes noise (even more noise if cd is in it, like it is reading it);

screen is black (not showing anything, no samsung logo, nor windows logo, nor any sort of life whatsoever, that includes POST test, no beeps, nothing). 

3. computer stays in this state for as long as i don't push down and hold the power button for a few seconds (last time i've waited ~1h and a half before switching it off).

4. after a lot of tries it finally decides that it's time to boot up, samsung logo shows up instantly after pushing the power button, then everything boots up like it should and everything works again, until the next power off (yeah, i am not turning it off now, don't want to be left without a laptop).

now, what did i try?:

1. I've tried unplugging it and taking out the battery, then plugging it back in < did not help

2. I've tried unplugging it and taking out the battery, holding down the power button for xx seconds (from 10sec to 2mins) then plugging it back in < did not help

3. disassembled it, tried to look for loose wires or anything that could be visually wrong (also cleaned the dust since i was at it). everything looked normal, no loose wires or connections, after assembly the problem was still present

4. tried to take out 1 stick of RAM and boot up, it did not, swapped with other RAM stick, no luck either

5. tried booting from windows dvd in the ODD, ODD makes sounds as if it was reading the dvd, but nothing happened

6. tried taking out the CMOS battery and replacing it. did not help either

7. replaced HDD, tried to boot from dvd, effect same as in 5th thing i've tried.

8. took out HDD, RAM and ODD, tried powering up. nothing.

9. sat there for half a day, pushing the power on button/holding the same button for a power down and repeating this step until it finally turned on. (right now the laptop is pretending that it works fine and doesn't have any problems, but i know, if i will shut it down, the same issue will be there).

i think that's all i've tried.. back in the day i've fixed alot of computers and usually had no problems at it, what boggles me now is that computer works fine if i manage to somehow boot it up. Please, help me with this headache, anyone? :(

P.S. Sorry if this post hard to understand, English is not my main language.

Edited by Luzgius, 14 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

Assuming in step 2. you also have AC power removed.

You might want to go to Samsung's site and see if the lights that are on when you have the issue indicate a problem.  HP uses lights like this where if this light is this color and that light is off then X is your problem.

#3 Luzgius

Luzgius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:23 AM

First of all, thank you for the reply

Yup, in step 2 the AC power is removed.

Smart thinking, i did not think about the led codes. Googled it. Here's the link, in case anyone needs or will need this:

http://bit.ly/2tpfi4y

So, the troubleshooter goes like this for me:

1. press the power on button;

2. if power on led works, go to 3rd step;

3. check HDD led

if HDD led is on or blinks - use fn+f3 to brighten the screen or LCD/Backlight has failed (when i power on the machine, the HDD led blinks randomly for a brief time, then stops completely. LCD/Backlight can not be an issue, right now, when laptop is on, LCD works like it should, so does the backlight, also, using a flashlight on LCD while the computer is in a down/no boot state, does not show anything, which usually means that backlight is working).

if HDD led is off and not blinking - hardware failure.

So basically, both of the 'if' fits partially. I know it's not LCD nor backlight problem, have no idea on how to pinpoint the hardware failure, specially when everything works if the computer boots up.

Edited by Luzgius, 15 June 2017 - 03:26 AM.

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

(and then the woman brings a little boy with blonde hair and freckles and just touches the laptop and it works just fine)
Try to get it to boot to BIOS first and then try the hard drive.

You tore the thing apart.. did you have a warranty on it?
(after a pause...) Video.. probably bad video.

#5 Luzgius

Luzgius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

(wish it was that easy)

What should i look for while being in BIOS?

Nope, i did not tear it apart, it was a gentle process with all the care i could give, lol. And no, warranty is long gone on this one, i would never try to tinker with a computer which is under the warranty..

Please, kind sir, do tell me, why do you think it is a bad video? If it was a video problem,  i wouldn't be able to work with video/graphics editing software and play video games, would i? Right now, when the computer is on, it works like a charm and i have no video related problems whatsoever. Curious.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Can you connect up an external monitor?  If the external monitor works the issue is most likely with the LCD panel.  I'd bet the LCD panel over the video.

#7 Luzgius

Luzgius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Pretty sure i've tried that, can't remember for sure though. Will try it in the morning, just to make sure, but i think it didn't work. Will let you know.

Right, time for an update.
1. Turned on the monitor (disconnected), it is displaying the 'no signal' message.
2. Connect it to laptop, the monitor goes into power saver mode and shuts down.

Seems like the usb ports are working, i can charge my phone via them.

Unfortunately, i am unable to turn on the laptop now.

edit; somehow it turned on again, while booted up, external monitor works like it should.

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2017 - 10:15 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users