Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

static IP address change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tweex

tweex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I had the same IP address for many years, now without any notification, it has been changed.  just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?  Would the ISP change it for some reason? what reason?  could it have been changed some other way?

any knowlege on this subject would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dantose

dantose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

ISPs generally do rotate their IPs. are you paying extra for static ip?

#3 tweex

tweex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

No I don't pay extra, maybe it's not a static ip address, but I have had it a long time, i would think they would let you know since I have an app to monitor some security cameras and when I tried to use it, it wouldn't connect.  that's actually how i discovered it.  i changed the ip address in the app to the new one and now it works.  I was just wondering if it could be some sort of hack, thanks for your response!

tim

#4 dantose

dantose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

No I don't pay extra, maybe it's not a static ip address, but I have had it a long time, i would think they would let you know since I have an app to monitor some security cameras and when I tried to use it, it wouldn't connect.  that's actually how i discovered it.  i changed the ip address in the app to the new one and now it works.  I was just wondering if it could be some sort of hack, thanks for your response!

tim

As far as the "why" part, there are a couple of answers. Historically, before always on connections were common, it was just cheaper to maintain enough IP addresses for peak demand and assign them dynamically.

There's now the issue of running out of IPv4 address space as well.

Finally, and more cynically, it's another service they can charge for.  

#5 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

I'm going to be a stickler on this one.  It should not care.  You should have set yourself up with Dynamic DNS a long time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users