Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes updates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Desktop: Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Version 1703.  Laptop, Dell Inspiron 5535, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1607.  Both on the same home network (Comcast cable via microwave link).  Both running Avast Premier on the same multi-machine license, and MalwareBytes 3.0.6 (laptop) or 3.1.2 (desktop, updated yesterday).

Speccy, Operating system, says for the desktop Type: Desktop.

Speccy, Operating system, says for the laptop Type: Tablet.

Huh?  the laptop is a perfectly normal 15.6" touchscreen laptop, Intel Core i7 4500U @ 1.80 GHz, 12 GB dual channel RAM, 931 GB WD hard drive, DVD +- RW optical drive, etc.

Am I missing something?

I just this minute ran an update, and now it says for the laptop Avast enabled, Win Defender disabled, MBAM AV enabled.  Before the update it said MBAM AV disabled.  It is still running MBAM 3.0.6 (the desktop updated to 3.1.2 yesterday).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

So it appears your issue is with Speccy's reporting, rather than a Malwarebytes issue...is that correct?

When was the last time you rebooted your system?

If Speccy is still reporting erroneously (and if that is the issue), I would uninstall it, and download and install a fresh copy.

Edited by jwoods301, 16 June 2017 - 01:12 AM.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

I wouldn't say I have "issues" here, I'm mostly just curious and trying to understand what I'm seeing.

First off, I have the Piriform "CCleaner Professional Plus" package installed on both computers (license renewed just a few days ago).  That includes CCleaner, Speccy, Defraggler and Recuva, all Pro versions and all up to date.  

In the meantime, since the first post here, the laptop updated to Win 10 Version 1703.  The update was uneventful.

That Speccy identifies my rather large and heavy laptop as a "tablet" is mostly just a curiosity.  I suppose I can ask Piriform <G>.

Of more interest is the enabling and disabling of Malwarebytes antivirus.  I run MB Premium on both machines - version 3.1.2 on the desktop, 3.0.6 on the laptop.  Both machines are running Windows 10, 64 bit, version 1703 - Pro edition on the desktop, Home edition on the laptop.  For lack of other explanation I am guessing that the difference in MB version reflects the difference in Win 10 edition?  The desktop updated from 3.0.6 to 3.1.2 some time ago; the laptop has not done so, but says it is fully up to date.

My primary AV is Avast Premier on both machines.  So under "Operating system" Speccy lists under "Antivirus" the following:

Avast Antivirus

Antivirus                                    Enabled

Virus Signature Database         Up to Date

Windows Defender

Antivirus                                    Disabled

Virus Signature Database        Up to Date

Malwarebytes

Antivirus                                   Enabled

Virus Signature Database       Up to Date

I take it this is the normal and expected configuration.  At times, however, for no particularly obvious reason, the listing for Malwarebytes Antivirus has been "Disabled" - and then later, perhaps after an update or a reboot, it again showed as "Enabled".  I was wondering if there is some rhyme or reason to that.  I think (not quite sure now, it hasn't changed in the past few days at least) that the changes were mostly on the laptop - which does get carried around quite a bit, and is sometimes logged into WiFi networks other than my own (the private and secured ones in water-district offices where I work, not public ones or Internet cafés).

I do understand that in general only one antivirus software should be installed or even present on a machine - and that Malwarebytes version 3 is an exception to that principle.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Malwarebytes may be doing rolling automatic updates, meaning that they are being sent out gradually, rather than all at once.

You can manually download the latest version if you want it.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:14 AM

Have you used any of these settings?

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2659863-malwarebytes-3-0-and-windows-action-center-wac-

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

I do understand that in general only one antivirus software should be installed or even present on a machine - and that Malwarebytes version 3 is an exception to that principle.

Although Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium claims it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it does not detect legacy malware, scripted files often used by malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is an explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst.

MBAM is not an anti virus application and does not replace an an anti virus application. MBAM is an adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application.

In its role as a adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application it has limitations in aspects that the anti virus application performs in its role. MBAM does not target script files...It also does not target document files...media files...MBAM targets mainly non-viral malware. The exception being a virus dropper (a malware file that drops a virus and starts a virus infection but is not infected with the virus) and worms (such as Internet worms and AutoRun worms). MBAM is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended, appended or cavity injected into a legitimate file. That means if a file infecting virus infects a legitimate file MBAM will be unable to remove the malicious code...MBAM is not a historical anti malware solution. That means it will not target old malware. It's intent is to target 0-Day malware. Malware that is infecting computers Today with malware found in-the-wild, Today...With all the things that that MBAM can not do, it is not an anti virus application and it remains an anti malware application which relegates it to its complimentary position.

Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

@jwoods301 - I have manually updated MB on the laptop several times since the desktop progressed to Version 3.1.2 - and the laptop still remains at version 3.0.6, which it insists is up to date.

@opera - yes, that is the way I have it set at the Windows Action Center.  I think that's the default when installing MB.

@quietman7 - I do understand that MB is not an antivirus replacement, and have never expected it to be one.  I have always used it as a malware detector alongside an antivirus package.  That package has been Avast Premier for some time now, I have no complaints about it, but will take a look at resource consumption <G>.  I don't see a lot of detections, because my ISP does a pretty good job of catching virus-laden E-mail before it reaches me (I get notified in that case), but so far anything that did slip past them has been promptly caught by Avast.  As for social engineering, I LIVED in Nigeria for a couple of years.  Much much later, one of the "Nigerian prince" scam messages actually used the name of one of my former research assistants at the University of Ibadan.  It wasn't him, but somebody found and used the name.  Perhaps because we kept up a correspondence for some time after I had left Nigeria.  Not by E-mail, to be sure - that was 1967, long before PCs were invented.  Perhaps just because I was, back then, fairly well known in University circles in Nigeria (and elsewhere), and he and I had traveled quite a bit around the country in the context of biological field work.

I found the exchanges on the referenced MB forum thread quite interesting.  Sorry if I gave the impression of having fallen for the misleading advertising.  I didn't <G>.

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

If you'd like to publish a Speccy report on the system, we can investigate further: First delete your version of Speccy via Programs then just download a fresh version as per instructions.

This will not post any personal information on the open forum, but just give the details an a "http link".

See the link for better information. A 15.6" touchscreen laptop may also be called a "Tablet" by its makers.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Only use CCleaner as downloaded unless you are expert at using or changing the settings.

It is NOT an Antivirus, just mainly a Temp File Cleaner and Program Lister, so I see no need to spend money on it when TFC by OldTimer is almost the same.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users