Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive not showing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thomaja

thomaja

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

I have a friend who got a boot error "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected device and press a key" on a Gateway All-In-One Model ZX4665G.  It came with Windows 8 and was upgraded to Windows 10

I got into the BIOS and the boot order starts with hard disk as the 1st priority

I took the drive out, put on an adapter on a Windows 10 laptop and cannot see the drive using a Kingwin EZ Connect USI-2535 adapter.  It doesn't show in Explorer or in Disk Management.  It makes me think the hard drive is toast but when I give the drive power it spins up on the adapter but on on the user's pc so that's TWO devices that can't see this drive.  I'm soooooooooo open to ideas!  I'm concerned that reinstalling Windows won't work if the drive won't show up.  I don't have a copy, my friend would have to pay for a new license, download or disk.  

Edited by thomaja, 14 June 2017 - 10:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Yes, it certainly sounds as though the drive is dead. He can try to contact Gateway and see if they can provide some form of recovery medium, but I'm guessing he will end up having to purchase both a new drive and OS.

Edited by Allan, 14 June 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Is the hard drive a 2.5" laptop style or a 3.5" desktop style.  If it is a a desktop style drive does your USB adapter have external power?  The desktop style drives require more power than USB can supply.  Without the power you wouldn't see the drive.

#4 thomaja

thomaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Is the hard drive a 2.5" laptop style or a 3.5" desktop style.  If it is a a desktop style drive does your USB adapter have external power?  The desktop style drives require more power than USB can supply.  Without the power you wouldn't see the drive.

Thanks, Kilroy!  The drive is a 3.5 desktop type.  The Kingwin EZ Connect USI-2535 adapter comes with a power supply to run the drive.  When I plug the power to the drive, the drive runs (you can hear it, feel the vibration on the drive) but it won't show.  

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Attach the USB to the Windows 10 computer until you hear it spin up. Open a command prompt and type 

diskpart

list disk

I highly doubt it but is the disk detected? If your Windows 10 computer only has one disk it most likely would be detected as disk 1.

#6 thomaja

thomaja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Attach the USB to the Windows 10 computer until you hear it spin up. Open a command prompt and type 

diskpart

list disk

I highly doubt it but is the disk detected? If your Windows 10 computer only has one disk it most likely would be detected as disk 1.

Thanks, bud!  I gave it a shot and the disk doesn't appear.  I'm %100 confident now it is a disk issue and not a motherboard issue.  Thanks, guys for all of your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users