Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System crashes but no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 floyd_89

floyd_89

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

Hi all,

Hope it’s ok using my first post to troubleshoot, but I’ve been having a lot of crashes with a custom build PC. I’ve had it for a couple of years now but these crashes have been persistent from the start but rare enough to not be a massive issue till now.

Basically it crashes when the system’s under stress (usually gaming) but lately I’ve been experiencing crashes even with old games with low system specs. It just restarts without going to the BSOD so I haven’t been able to find a record. The event viewer only states that the source of the crash is kernel-power, but this just means it restarted without shutting down properly and doesn’t tell me the source. 

I’ve checked the drivers are up to date and RAM for quality with no errors. Any advice to try to pin down the cause of this would be hugely appreciated, it's been driving me nuts.

Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Corsair Hydro H100i Watercooling Performance Closed-Loop CPU Cooler
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 1600MHz RAM
250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series 2.5" SATA 6GB/s (SATA-III) Solid State Drive SSD
Corsair CS750M - 750W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply
Windows 10 (64 bit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rarebit

rarebit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

Not that much to go on... I had 2 similar cases on my pc, crashing without BSOD:

- RAM error, you write you tested RAM... test more, mine appeared after 24 hours of testing, RAM was on the verge of breaking but would not always corrupt immediately. I then replaced one memory module and everything was ok again

- GPU overheating, in most graphics cards there's only a small fan. After a few years it collects too much dirt and doesn't work anymore 100% correctly. Effect you get is that after some time working/playing games the computer crashes, the better the graphics you use the quicker it overheats and crashes, and crashes will become quicker and quicker.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:38 AM

over heating most likely,

could be your video card or your processor, one of the two is getting too hot

#4 floyd_89

floyd_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to run some hardware monitor tests to try and get some temperature readings, but these crashes have been happening even when the system was new so I doubt it's a build up of dust.

Hopefully it's just bad RAM. If it's not and it turns out it is overheating, what would you suggest?

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

but these crashes have been happening even when the system was new so I doubt it's a build up of dust.

did you apply thermal paste properly to the processor heat sink/fan when you built it?

take that apart and clean the old paste off and apply new paste,

do the same thing with the heat sink/fan on your video card

and while you have them apart clean any dust from the heat sinks and fans

Edited by mikey11, 14 June 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#6 floyd_89

floyd_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

^ It was built by a company so I didn't do it myself unfortunately. However, I'm currently running FurMark with some hardware monitor ware and all temperatures seem reasonable - GPU is currently maxing at 79 so I might try de-dusting but it doesn't seem to be overheating yet. 

I'm pretty new to this but it's also showing the i7 CPU core #1 at 100% while all others are fluctuating between 1-10% - perhaps that?

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

download and run speccy

that will show the temps of your processor and video card

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

Useful information!
Please only use the ZIP compression format, do not use 7z, RAR, etc.!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 floyd_89

floyd_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

Link to specs here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yQUDEnEoM5P8MTlADA4PsAP

Power supply as written in OP is Corsair CS750M - 750W Semi-Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply 

Apologies for making a new thread, but since the problem wasn't a BSOD but a crash I wasn't sure it applied. 

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Apologies for making a new thread, but since the problem wasn't a BSOD but a crash I wasn't sure it applied. 

No need to apologize — I should be the one doing so in fact. :wink: I ask members not to create a new thread as the BSOD posting instructions actually ask you to do so. That's because the author presumed that the member reading the topic had not requested for help yet at all and would follow the instructions before starting a new topic. Anyway, please run the Sysnative File Collection App regardless of whether you're experiencing BSODs. :)

Thanks.

Best regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#12 floyd_89

floyd_89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the input and sorry for the delay. I've attached the SysNative zip and the Speccy details. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yQUDEnEoM5P8MTlADA4PsAP

One thing I noticed - I recently ran FurMark and found that core #1 of the the i7 core CPU is at 100% while the others are all fluctuating between 1-10%. Is this normal? 

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users