Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and mouse not working after booting Windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 McDohl

McDohl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:28 AM

Keyboard and mouse works in bios and also in the UEFI Windows recovery blue screen, but not when Windows is booted. This issue also occurs when booting into safe mode!

One interesting tidbit is that I got a PS/2 keyboard which DID work after Windows booted, but after I restarted it again not even that works anymore! That or the PS/2 mouse. Another interesting issue is that when I remove the dedicated graphics card and try booting Windows via the internal GPU it just freezes on the Windows 10 boot screen where the white dots are shifting in a circle.

Things I've tried:
- Resetting cmos
- Restoring bios to default
- Disabling fast boot
- Tried all of the USB settings in bios
- Used all USB ports
- PS/2 Keyboard and mouse
- Removing all devices besides SSD which has my OS
- Booting into safe mode (KB/mouse still doesn't work here)
- A different power supply
- Windows Recovery: Startup repair, system restore (No restore point), rollback to previous version (Failed).
- Altering the registry files (Adjustments never save even if I give myself permissions).
- Using SSD in a different computer, but I receive the "inaccessible boot device" error, even if it's the only drive connected.

I'm all out of ideas and have read tons of forum discussions about this same issue. Help?
The PC specs at hand:
- Gigabyte GTX 740
- AMD phenom x4 9550
- ASUS m3a78-em
- Inland 500W PSU
- 8GB DDR2 ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Did you check in the Device Manager under Keyboard and Mice and other pointing devices to see if there are any error or warning icons presetn?

Because this problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode this very well could be related to a third party service/application.  To see if this is in fact what is causing this please do a clean boot.  If the instructions are followed correctly through step #7 the computer will be restarted.  When it restarts either the problem will not reoccur which will indicate that this is a third party service causing this.  After this you will need to follow the steps to halve the services and add the check to one of the halves, restart the computer and see if the problem occurs.  If it doesn't, the problem will be found in that half.  Continue halving this half to continue the process of elimination till you find the service causing this.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 McDohl

McDohl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Did you check in the Device Manager under Keyboard and Mice and other pointing devices to see if there are any error or warning icons presetn?

Because this problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode this very well could be related to a third party service/application.  To see if this is in fact what is causing this please do a clean boot.  If the instructions are followed correctly through step #7 the computer will be restarted.  When it restarts either the problem will not reoccur which will indicate that this is a third party service causing this.  After this you will need to follow the steps to halve the services and add the check to one of the halves, restart the computer and see if the problem occurs.  If it doesn't, the problem will be found in that half.  Continue halving this half to continue the process of elimination till you find the service causing this.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Unfortunately I'm not able to navigate to the device manager because USB as well as PS/2 keyboards and mice aren't working in normal boot or even safe mode (I think you misread that). 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users