Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is Western Digital a reliable SSD brand?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 argonvegell

argonvegell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

I'm a fan of Western Digital HDDs because of personal experience, I've never changed the WD 120GB SATA HDD on my Dell Inspiron E1505, which is a 11-year-old laptop and still running despite the 281 bad sectors, but want to change the drive because last week the bad sectors were 261, so there was a 20 bad sector increase, which tells me this drive will fail eventually.

So with my personal experience, Western Digital is reliable, but that's HDDs, but what about SSDs though? Anyone with experience? I've never purchased a SSD before.

The SSD I'm interested in is WD Green 120GB SSD, because my laptop's drive limit is 120GB to 160GB or lower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Are you quite certain about that? I havent seen a BIOS limitation to the size of hard drives for years and years.

Every SATA hard drive that I have replaced with considerably larger has worked fine.

Western Digital is the only brand I buy because of their reliability and warranty.

SSD hard drives are pricey. You can buy a terabyte for less than you will spend on a 120GB

Even though they dont spin, I have seen SSD drives fail.

Never defragment an SSD drive, It doesnt need it

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

Western Digital acquired Sandisk last year. Their SSD range is based on Sandisk's technology. Sandisk are fine in terms of reliability, IMO. They were never really cutting edge in terms of performance, but often made good value drives overall.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 argonvegell

argonvegell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

Are you quite certain about that? I havent seen a BIOS limitation to the size of hard drives for years and years.

Every SATA hard drive that I have replaced with considerably larger has worked fine.

Yes, a friend of mine who's taking IT as a college course came over and we tried a WD 500GB HDD that he had lying around, and the BIOS wouldn't detect it, and the HDD wasn't defective because he tried it on his own laptop and it was detected just fine, according to him, it's the BIOS, which is A08 (Dell Inc.) 07/28/2006, the BIOS cannot handle larger drives.

Western Digital is the only brand I buy because of their reliability and warranty.

SSD hard drives are pricey. You can buy a terabyte for less than you will spend on a 120GB

Even though they dont spin, I have seen SSD drives fail.

What's the failure rate between SSDs and HDDs? Because the original HDD on my laptop lasted 11 years.

Never defragment an SSD drive, It doesnt need it

Since I'm using Lubuntu 16.04, the ext4 file system doesn't need to be defragged.

Western Digital acquired Sandisk last year. Their SSD range is based on Sandisk's technology. Sandisk are fine in terms of reliability, IMO. They were never really cutting edge in terms of performance, but often made good value drives overall.

That's good to know.

#5 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

Yes, a friend of mine who's taking IT as a college course came over and we tried a WD 500GB HDD that he had lying around, and the BIOS wouldn't detect it, and the HDD wasn't defective because he tried it on his own laptop and it was detected just fine, according to him, it's the BIOS, which is A08 (Dell Inc.) 07/28/2006, the BIOS cannot handle larger drives.

Someday I'll tell you about the Young Bull and the Old Bull.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-e1505/drivers

Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, A17
Inspiron 6400/E1505 A17 System BIOS
 View details 
File Name: MM061A17.exe
Description: Windows/DOS (889.4 KB)
Version: A17 ,A17
Importance: Optional
Release Date: 25 Jun 2007
Last Updated: 03 Nov 2011
Download  Add to My Download List-#1

This is hard to decode.  Your date is 2006, this most-recent BIOS was "released" Jun 2007, but "updated" Nov 2011.  Your version is A08, and the latest one is A17.  I find it hard to believe they had 9 versions in one year, so I'd be willing to bet that this version is the latest over a period of 5 years, last updated in 2011 and maybe in those 5 versions they built in the ability to recognize Hard Drives larger than 120 Gbyte.

You also need to talk to someone who knows more about SSD's than I do about whether or not your antique laptop will have drivers for a current year SSD.  Because it IS the Current Year.

Also you've had a wonderful fantasy, but most people are lucky to get 5 years out of a hard drive, however I much prefer WD Black to any of the others.  But I wouldn't use the "halo effect" of Western Digitals reputation for quality in old-school "spinning" hard drives as a reason to purchase an SSD.  I've been doing some research and for 2.5 inch drives I think the best performance and price is with a Samsung EVO

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 14 June 2017 - 01:39 AM.

#6 argonvegell

argonvegell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

This is hard to decode.  Your date is 2006, this most-recent BIOS was "released" Jun 2007, but "updated" Nov 2011.  Your version is A08, and the latest one is A17.  I find it hard to believe they had 9 versions in one year, so I'd be willing to bet that this version is the latest over a period of 5 years, last updated in 2011 and maybe in those 5 versions they built in the ability to recognize Hard Drives larger than 120 Gbyte.

I have zero experience in updating/flashing my BIOS, even my friend doesn't know how to do it, and he warns me that updating/flashing my BIOS might lead to me bricking my laptop, so I'm a little hesitant of doing that.

You also need to talk to someone who knows more about SSD's than I do about whether or not your antique laptop will have drivers for a current year SSD.  Because it IS the Current Year.

Well, I'm bringing my laptop to my favorite computer store, so the technician will check whether or not my laptop will accept the SSD or not.

Also you've had a wonderful fantasy, but most people are lucky to get 5 years out of a hard drive, however I much prefer WD Black to any of the others.  But I wouldn't use the "halo effect" of Western Digitals reputation for quality in old-school "spinning" hard drives as a reason to purchase an SSD.  I've been doing some research and for 2.5 inch drives I think the best performance and price is with a Samsung EVO

Well, I got 11 years out of my HDD lol.

Unfortunately I can't really afford the Samsung EVO 120GB which is $99.00, while the WD Green 120GB is $54.00.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

It looks like your drive is a SATA drive, which will eliminate the issue if a SSD will work.  It would be nice if Dell documentation had more information than how to replace the drive.

While it is possible to brick a system updating the BIOS I have only bricked one system in the 20+ years I've been working on computers and hundreds of BIOS updates.  Unfortunately Dell doesn't list the improvements made in the previous releases, so it is not possible to tell if a previous release allowed for the use of a larger hard drive.  Since you're not using Windows you would have to create a boot disk and install the BIOS from DOS.  There are instructions for this on the BIOS download page.

#8 argonvegell

argonvegell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

It looks like your drive is a SATA drive, which will eliminate the issue if a SSD will work.  It would be nice if Dell documentation had more information than how to replace the drive.

Good news, the WD Green 120GB SSD was detected by my laptop! :) And it's running fast!

Question, the SSD's temperature is running between 49C to 51C, is that a okay temp?

Edited by argonvegell, 15 June 2017 - 12:39 AM.

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

Question, the SSD's temperature is running between 49C to 51C, is that a okay temp?

I would prefer to get this data from WD, and I did find one PDF but it only mentioned what the limits were for the outside temperature and not what the max, internal "operating" temperature would be.  I did see one post from Tom's that said WD green "run warm" but did not read it as I was looking specifically for "white sheet" style specifications and not possibly uninformed opinions of Users.

But Google is your friend and I'd bet with some persistance you can find all sorts of online references about how they run warm and what others consider to be "normal" or "too hot".

But here's what I DID find:

https://www.cnet.com/products/wd-green-pc-ssd-wds120g1g0a-solid-state-drive-120-gb-sata-6gb-s/specs/

ENVIRONMENTAL PARAMETERS
Min Storage Temperature -67 °F
Max Storage Temperature 185 °F
Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
Max Operating Temperature 158 °F <-- Equals 70 deg. C

Actually as I think of it this may be the same data I didn't like the first time.  "Environmental Parameters" makes me think outside temps not inside.  158 deg. F is 70 deg. C, so if this is "the number" then you are well below it.  It's a good thing to think about and search for the definitive answer.  People should know these things so when some utility software tells you that your (example) CPU is operating at 62 deg. C, you should know whether or not it's time to PANIC.  Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

#10 argonvegell

argonvegell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info :)

Since this is my first time ever using an SSD, my mind is still in HDD mode, so I kinda panicked when I saw the temperature go up to 51C.

I thought SSDs aren't really affected by temperature because there's no moving parts inside them?

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

Well they consume energy and so therefore output heat.  The question is how much energy, and how much heat.  Answer:  Less than mechanical hard drives.

One post I read said that a lot of SSD "heat" is the result of being in close proximity to other heat generators, which implies they are more likely to run warm due to nearby equipment than the heat they themselves generate.  I really don't know.  I know almost squat about SSDs.  However I have a 250 Gbyte SSD that installs in the PCI slot for CRAZY read-write times, like yours is probably on the order of 500 read/writes per second and these PCI SSDs are like 2,220 per second.  Saving my pennies.

Glad you are up & running.

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2017 - 04:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users