Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Random disconnects after moving.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JaysonRain

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum so forgive me. We recently moved. Before then I never had any connectivity issues. We moved on June 10th and a tech came out to set us up same day. I have an Arris modem, no router, used for phone, tv and internet. As i said before I never had any issues until now. Starting the first day things were fine for hours and then suddenly towards evening is when it all started. Since then I get random disconnects throughout the day. 

I am using a two way splitter for internet and tv. The disconnects seem to happen frequently when using a splitter. If i direct the main line to the modem I dont get any disconnect or it's rare. I noticed however when the main line was connected just to the modem there was loads of correcteds and uncorrectables. I have tried different splitters (ones i just happened to have so none are new). I have also tried switching around coaxial cables (btw the ends are often hot to the touch). I have a tech coming out tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone could give me any advice in the mean time. Bare in mind I said we just moved and the line outside has not yet been covered if indeed it is the cable line (long orange cable). Here are the reads from my modem.

Below are links to modem readings

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Has one contacted the provider to see if they can find the problem? Sometimes they can figure out and resolve it from their end.

Sometimes the box (with splitter) on the outside of the abode is exposed to some element(s) and there is a shorting: I fixed mine by bending the wires into a configuration where water drains without hitting the splitter itself: Provider did not figure that out.

A friend of mine years ago would walk into my home with his smart-phone and we would lose connectivity on all our devices while he had great connection...lol. Didn't figure that one out as I didn't have time for it and just told him he had to either turn his phone off when visiting or turn off his wi-fi. That resolved it.

Could be many gremlins but has one started with the provider to resolve this? Could be on their end and something may need an update or reconfiguration....

Edit: Welcome tp BC. Knowledgeable peeps around and I am by far not the most experienced. :)

Edited by bludgard, 13 June 2017 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users