Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode's background colour - how to change?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Syncopator

Syncopator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

The dark blue icon names on the black background are almost impossible to read.

How can I change the background colour? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

You can always just select an application your want from your program menu, by clicking the Windows button and scrolling to it.

Safe mode is designed not to load personal settings and other variables that can influence the performance of the OS, it is designed for troubleshooting.

#3 Syncopator

Syncopator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

You can always just select an application your want from your program menu, by clicking the Windows button and scrolling to it.

Safe mode is designed not to load personal settings and other variables that can influence the performance of the OS, it is designed for troubleshooting.

I have no idea what you mean by your first sentence.

Yes, i know what safe mode is for.  

I still want to know how to change the colour/s so that icon names may be read.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

What I mean by the first sentence is that you can click the windows button in the bottom left hand corner, windows-7-34.png  then select the application you want from the list of installed programs there.

Is your icon text normally dark blue? It should be white in safe made and the desktop should be black with "Safe Mode" written in each corner.

Do you see the safe mode warning in the desktop corners? What has lead you to using this? Perhaps the issue has other implications.

#5 Syncopator

Syncopator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

Is your icon text normally dark blue?

If, by normally, you mean after a normal boot, than no.  It's normal.  

It should be white in safe made and the desktop should be black with "Safe Mode" written in each corner.

Yes it should.  In XP it was.  I don't remember what it was in Windows 8.1, but in safe mode in Windows 10, the background is a normal pale blue, and the icon names are black.

In Windows 7 safe mode the background is black, Safe Mode, in white, appears in all four corners of the screen, but the icon names are, as I said, unreadable.

I discovered that they can be made readable by starting in any corner, left clicking the mouse, and sweeping the screen to highlight everything.  The icon names then appear in white.  That, though, may be interesting, but useless information.

I had a chat with one of Microsoft's "agents" on their help site.  The person consulted his help files, or whatever they do, and gave an unhelpful reply.  After a bit more interrogation, he, or she, went off again and when they came back I had the impression that a consultation with a colleague had taken place.  

The response said something about "conflicts between drivers in Safe Mode", and boiled down to nothing more than corporate waffle.  Lots of words, many of which were incorrectly used, and almost certainly put together by someone incompetent in using the English language.  

What has lead you to using this?

"This" being Safe Mode ?  One of those sets of circumstances when one is advised to reboot into safe mode in order to perform some task or other.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

I did think of the drag-select option as well, as a feeble workaround. :)

I was thinking that I might be able to help you with the core issue Syncopator, which is why I asked why you were using safe mode.

I'm yet unable to replicate the issue you're having, nor have I ever seen it before. (nor can I find any reference online)

Does your event log show any errors from a driver conflict?

#7 Syncopator

Syncopator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

I haven't looked at the event log.  I will do so after I have next booted to safe mode so that I can remember the time.  Thank you for that.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users