Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Svchost!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dsnow

dsnow

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

Hello everybody!

Ive been having troubles with my computation device performing poorly. No big errors, just generally sluggish. Im using Win XP Pro. Ive gone through general matinence procedures. Ive also scanned and cleaned using updated Norton, Pest Patrol, SpyBot, and CCleaner, but Im still having problems.

Ive looked through the startup list on this site, and Ive found I still have alot of bad active processes starting up with the computer. The following appear in the processes tab in task manager:

svchost.exe
lsass.exe
rtvscan.exe
alg.exe
wdfmgr.exe
spoolsvc.exe
csrss.exe

Ive tried to use msconfig to turn them off, but there doesnt appear to be a simple way to do this. Im not really sure what my next course of action should be...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:46 AM

Hello dsnow. Welcome to BC.

Please please please DO NOT turn off anything without first researching whether or not it is necessary. Most, if not all of the items you mention are part of necessary operating items and your PC will go haywire or give up completely if you mess with them.

You will probably see svchost.exe come up a number of times on your Task Manager, depending on what services are running.

You can check your startup items via that tab at the top of each page.

To get more info than Task Manager will give you, I use a programme called What's Running. You can find it and many other freebies here: FREEBIES.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 10 September 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:15 AM

I recommend Startup Inspector to manage startup menu configuration because it makes identifying the aps much easier soyou do not accidently turn off necessory system aps, av aps, or essemtial Windows processes as you can easily do using msconfig.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#4 dsnow

dsnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:03 PM

thanks for the replies

Please please please DO NOT turn off anything without first researching whether or not it is necessary. Most, if not all of the items you mention are part of necessary operating items and your PC will go haywire or give up completely if you mess with them.

That is really good advice. Unfortunately I did the exact opposite last night. In an act of profound stupidity I used Autoruns to examine the services I had associated with svchost.exe and I started turning things off left, right, and center. I really went to town. Suffice to say, my computer did indeed go haywire and I was up untill 3:30am undoing what I had done. I did sort it all out in the end, but I will defintely be more cautious in the future!

I think part of the problem was that I misunderstood the information I got from searching the startup list here at BC. I saw alot of malicious entries assossiated with svchost when I searched it up, so I just assumed it was all bad.

Ive used Startup Inspector to examine processes running on my computer, and I think everything seems to be in order, now that I have a better understanding of the entries and what they mean. No strange or unidentifiable programs seem to be active.

Ive used norton, adaware, pest patrol, spybot, ccleaner, and start up inspector on my computer, and it all looks good. My computer still seems a bit sluggish though... would it be safe to conclude I dont have a malware problem and begin to look at other possible causes?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Edited by dsnow, 10 September 2006 - 11:04 PM.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:09 AM

Glad you got sorted - quick way to learn, Eh?

For a slow computer, check out this forum.

Cheers

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:18 AM

Remember the number 1 cause for slow computers is usually a lack of ram.

#7 dsnow

dsnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Thanks stranger. I think the fog of incomprehensible gibberesh is starting to lift.

bleepingcomputer is #1

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

you could maybe defrag your harddrive, it it hasnt been done in a while, might speed things up a touch,

good luck

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

The svchost.exe process is a worm - but it's also a valid and essential process on your system. The difference lies in where it's located on your hard drive.

In my copy of XPProSP2, there are 4 files that come up when searching for svchost.exe (well, there are 2 others, but they relate to WinFX, so they're not included here) - all are legitimate:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (this is the one that your system uses)
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe (a backup copy)
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\svchost.exe (a backup copy)
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf (this is actually a prefetch file and not a svchost.exe)

In the past there was a virus that would place a fake svchost.exe in the C:\Windows directory - and that was the virus that you read about.

Finally, here's a link about the services configuration in SP2: http://web.archive.org/web/20050401044922/.../servicecfg.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users