Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not turning on quickly anymore

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jmcgarva

jmcgarva

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hey all. 

I have a home built computer.

I had this mobo 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

I had a  AMD FX-8350 Black Edition CPU 

16gb of Ram 

a nvidia geforce 660 video card 

1tb HDD for normal every day saving and a 128gb SSD for windows and one game

One random day when turning on my computer it wouldnt turn on anymore.. After tons of trouble shooting and long story short, the mobo failed. So I replaced the mobo with this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAK8EEA

I also added a new video card at the same time.. The video game is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIZUF7Y

I bought a bigger SSD before my computer crashed .. probably 2-3 months before. Every since I got this new SSD, Ive always had slower computer and longer boot times. When I had the 128gb which I think it was made by hyper X or something like that, the computer was super fast, no issues, and boot time was under 10 seconds. Just didnt have enough storage. After I got the 256gb which is a PNY brand, it started running slow.. Then had the MOBO crash. I am not sure if its related to slow SSD or not. 

After installing the new MOBO and video card the computer actually turns on. This was back in March By the way. Now this past month or so, my computer will be running okay, but then I get a mouse glitch where it looks like a bunch of dots and that is the cursor. The only way for it to go away is to restart the computer.

My main reason here today is when I boot the computer, it may take 30 seconds, or it might take 30 mins. It just sits at the Windows 7 Screen black screen. Its not frozen because the windows icon looks like its breathing. 

Ive tried to reinstall windows probably 3 times now on this new setup since ive having this issues...

Again this only happened after getting the new SSD. Then it MOBO crashed. I replaced mobo, and video card. Now the computer is taking a long time to reboot.. 

Do I need to get a new SSD? Or are they all about the same? 

This is the one I have now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-cs1311-240gb-internal-sata-iii-solid-state-drive/4825701.p?skuId=4825701

I bought a bigger SSD before my computer crashed .. probably 2-3 months before. Every since I got this new SSD, Ive always had slower computer and longer boot times. When I had the 128gb which I think it was made by hyper X or something like that, the computer was super fast, no issues, and boot time was under 10 seconds. After I got the 256gb which is a PNY brand, it started running slow.. Then had the MOBO crash. I am not sure if its related to slow SSD or not. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

I would be interested to see if the Windows Event Logs have any clues.

The easiest way to check the Event logs is to do the following...

In Control Panel, navigate to Administrative Tools and click on Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Administrative Events.

The Administrative Events contain Warnings, Errors, and Critical events from all event logs.

Additionally, you might run a System Health Check.

Click Start, and in either the Run dialog or a Command prompt, enter perfmon /report followed by Enter.

Edited by jwoods301, 13 June 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#3 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

My computer wont even let me upload a picture to this site. It is showing 62,888 events. I will run a scan tonight. I need to do some work from home stuff so I dont want to tie anything up. I will try and upload a picture from my ipad. But something definitely  going on here to even that many warnings!! 

#4 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Here is the pic

Attached Files

Edited by jmcgarva, 13 June 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

The yellow warning for e1express and the EventD 27 at the very bottom is for a disconnected network link.

The red warnings for Service Control Manager and the EventID 7022 means that services are hanging on startup.

The EventID 7001 is related and probably specific to these services hanging...

DCOM Server Process Launcher

RPC Endpoint Mapper

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager

Server

Follow these instructions for doing a Clean Boot...

1. Click Start and type msconfig in the search box.
  2. Press Enter.
  3. On the General tab, click Selective startup.
  4. Clear the Load startup items check box.
  5. Click the Services tab.
  6. Select the Hide all Microsoft services check box (at the bottom).
  7. Click Disable all.
  8. Click OK.

Report back with any changes in the Event Logs, and if the computer continues to hang.

#6 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Ok I tired to do what you said. Here are some more screen shots 

Attached Files

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

Click on Start and in the Search box, enter task.

Click on the Windows Task Manager result.

In Task Manager, click on the Services tab.

Get screen shots of all the entries...make sure that Name, Description, and Status are showing.

Doesn't have to be perfect...if you repeat one or two in a subsequent screen shot, that's fine.

What are you using for antivirus/antimalware?

#8 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

I am using avira,

I did the boot menu you told me to do, but I havent restarted yet. I am not sure if this has affected anything in the screen shots I provided 

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.png   68.76KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.png   51.79KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.png   57.56KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   184.11KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  7.png   21.23KB   0 downloads

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:59 PM

Usually when the OP doesn't post his PSU with the rest of the hardware, it's because he doesn't think it's important, which frequently means it's low quality and failing.

Please post manufacturer, model and rated power output of the PSU, the voltages and temps as reported in BIOS and a full report from "Speccy" (which will show your temps in windows).  My instinct is that this is going to be PSU. Same symptoms over two Motherboards and two video cards?  There's not much left to blame but the PSU.

EDIT***

Also run chkdsk, preferably twice with the /r "repair" option enabled.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 13 June 2017 - 11:11 PM.

#10 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

I am not sure how to take a pic of the bios. Unless I take a pic with my phone? What all do you want in the BIOS? Anything specific? 

Attached Files

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yes use phone, it's usually best to turn off the rooms light and turn the flash off the computer and let the light from the computer monitor be the only light the phone's camera sees.  Look for screens that mention voltage and temperature.  Also post PSU specs that's important. If you have a POS we're wasting time chasing Zebras, however if you really good one then it's probably more likely heat or failing HD.

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:22 PM

Attached File  volts.JPG   33.17KB   0 downloads

This looks pretty bad.  Speccy is not always accurate about voltages however so we need confirmation from BIOS. Also PSU specs may support condemning the PSU or make it less likely.  But based on Speccy I recommend suspending all other troubleshooting efforts until the PSU is determined to be either good or bad.

Tolerance for voltages is 5% of what it's supposed to be, i.e. the 12 volt rail can be plus or minus 0.6 volts.  Personally I think that standard too stringent and unless there's no other explanation for symptoms, I will tolerate 10% (5 volts is plus or minus 0.5 volts, or 4.5 to 5.5 volts).

These readings are no where near what they are supposed to be.  Either PSU bad, Speccy wrong, or both.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 13 June 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#13 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:35 PM

OK Give me some time to post the bios stats being i dont know if my computer will boost in a timely manner. 

When I was trouble shooting the 1st time when the computer randomly stop turning on, I did try a different PSU and it gave me the same issue. So I kind of ruled it out. 

This is the one I replaced it with to see if my normal one was bad. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182021

I am trying to find the make and model of my current one. 

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

I am using avira,

I did the boot menu you told me to do, but I havent restarted yet. I am not sure if this has affected anything in the screen shots I provided 

Follow these instructions for doing a Normal Boot...

1. Click Start and type msconfig in the search box.
  2. Press Enter.
  3. On the General tab, click Normal startup.
  4. Click OK.

After booting normally,

Click on Start and in the Search box, enter task.

Click on the Windows Task Manager result.

In Task Manager, click on the Services tab.

Look to make sure the following Services are Started...

CNG Key Isolation
Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
WLAN AutoConfig
Superfetch
VSS

Look for any Service that has a status of Starting or Stopping, and doesn't change.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 June 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#15 jmcgarva

jmcgarva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

Hope these help

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users